+ Reply
Second round of chemo and suggestions
Ekmsmom
12 Posts

My daughter is having her second chemo next week. She did the first one alone but this time, I am going to accompany her.

Any suggestions for what to bring or do to be supportive and helpful? I heard about cooling socks and was able to buy her a pair of those but am not sure what else might be helpful or comforting.

8 Replies
ACH2015
2351 Posts

@Ekmsmom

When I had my chemo sessions, I brought food, snacks, favorite drinks, reading material, my music and anything else that helped the time pass. My infusions took 5 ½ hours, so I was prepared for a long stay. Comfortable clothing is always suggested for the patient and anyone accompanying as well.

Hope this helps

ACH2015

Ekmsmom
12 Posts

@ACH2015
Thanks. I need all the advice I can get. ❤️

Mosi
215 Posts

@Ekmsmom
@ACH2015 had great suggestions for a long haul infusion. The socks will be very useful. My first 4 AC injections were 1.5 hrs. Just enough time for a great visit. I get together with my sister weekly for lunch and our infusion times became our lunch date. Bring conversation and positivity. I was also really happy to have replenishing of cold drinks during the process.
Thank you for being there for your daughter. When we get our diagnosis we have no choice but to have cancer in our lives. Everyone around us does have a choice. I marvel at those that stay and fight with us.
Kasey

Jlo
246 Posts
Ekmsmom

Hi: I also brought a sweater as I found the chemo room cold. If you have a light blanket, that might be helpful. The nurses did give me one. I would bring something to read and drink for yourself as well if it is a long infusion as I sometimes feel asleep. We used to laugh and talk to pass the time and sometimes engaged with other patients. Just your being their will be such a comfort. Best Joan
nel
31 Posts

@Ekmsmom
My chemo sessions were 7 hours long each time. A pair of socks would be nice. They provide heated blankets should your daughter feel cold. A few of her favorite snacks and a good book to read. Sometimes I find I just wanted to close my eyes, think positive thoughts, daydream and have multiple naps. A good company is great too.

LittleDeb
13 Posts

@nel

Hello Nell I just finished my chemo and one of my sisters was always with me. They asked the nurses for ice packs for my hands and feet to prevent neuropathy, they brought their phones and took pics of me during chemo so rest of family could see I was ok They were just there for me to chat to and keep my mind off the fact that I had a needle in my veins pumping me full of chemicals that I didn’t know how I would manage. They told me stories about rest of family from facebook chats, and just kept me in a positive frame, helping me set up my iPad to read or gave me snacks to eat or ice chips to suck on..it helped me with reducing mouth sores. Every chemo I was done, we went for lunch so I could have a fun lunch with them both before symptoms set in , usually day 3 for me..

nel
31 Posts

@LittleDeb
Bless our sisters. I live in British Columbia. My sister lived in Albeta - a good 13 hours drive away. When I got diagnosed with cancer she and her husband, along with her two adult kids moved to BC for good so that we can all be together. They already found a house of their own and we are just 20 minutes drive apart.

I had my first chemo session on November 2021. My daughter was with me. Initially, my session was to only last for 5 hours. I had a severe reaction with the drug (Paclitaxil and Carboplatin) within 8 minutes of administration. Emergency alarm went off and four oncologic nurses came to tend to me. My daughter witnessed all these and of course was on shock. She still came with me on the next session, this time it's 7 hours long as the drug was then administered slowly. She brings her books and notebooks and laptop with her and while I take naps, she studies. Unfortunately, we have to stop the chemotherapy at fourth cycle because it was not working. My tumor(s) continued to grow. We began the immunotherapy (keytruda and Lenvima) on February 2022 but had to stop immediately again as Lenvima became so toxic. We stopped treatment by the end of March 2022. I had 3 sessions. My sister and her family has already moved to BC and was temporarily staying at my house. In between immunotherapy sessions I got hospitalized for six days because of side effects (fever and infection). My sister took care of my household for me.

I have been on treatment break since the beginning of April 2022. It's been four months now. I still have cancer and I am being closely monitored. My anxiety level is high. I am deeply worried my cancer is spreading because I am not receiving any treatments. But deep inside, I force myself to think that my oncologist's decision to give me quality of life and for my body to rest for a bit is important before we embark on another treatment. We are waiting for a clinical trial. I get checked every two months and I see her every two months. I have a schedule with her on August 10. All scans and bloodworks were already done. Hoping for good results and/or for treatment soon.

For the meantime, I am indeed enjoying my quality of life. My sister and her family and my two kids have always been here for me.

Ness

supersu
1297 Posts

@nel

WOW! what a time you've had Ness!!!

thank you so much for sharing your story….so generous of you to reach out and support others while you are in the thick of it yourself. sending all my best hugs to you this morning.

ya, sisters. I am thankful for mine every day….and your sister and her family are GOLD. so happy that you have them in your life. they say that one good sister is worth a thousand friends……you and I both know that is exactly right. #truthbomb

enjoy your family, get strong as you take this break from therapy, and good luck with the upcoming appointments.
I am certainly cheering you on from over here.

cheers to you and your sister
su

#sisterfriends #treatmentholiday

+ Reply