+ Reply
4 days after first chemo
Roy L.
519 Posts

Happy after Christmas everyone,

Its been 4 days since my first Chemo on the 23rd, I have to say overall things are “ok”. More fatigue, no appetite (but I am eating junk), just the general feeling of blaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh. EXCEPT I was warned, thank you @Runner Girl about my nose hairs falling out, and they did. What an absolute weird feeling. I just trimmed the darn things a few days ago and now they are gone and my nose itches on the inside.

There are signs of some velcro falling from my shaved head, but not to much yet. I know its coming and I am ready for it.

With the help of my sister we had a great x-mas dinner, spent some time with my son and his g/f who I had not met before. She was a hoot and so glad he asked her over. Of course I got snuggles with Althea, best christmas present ever!

All the best in 2022 everyone, stay safe, stay covid negative and be nice to one another. Life is so much easier when we are kind.

Roy

#peacelovecure

18 Replies
Runner Girl
2894 Posts

@Roy L.

I'm sorry friend, but I had a little chuckle over the nose hairs. I recall how terribly itchy my nose was. And the words of my oncologist's nurse when she advised that my nose was itchy because I was losing my nose hairs.

Glad Christmas went well for you and the family.

Runner Girl

Whitelilies
2447 Posts

@Roy L. Hi Roy….glad to hear your xmas was lovely…..and meaningful….Althea IS the best present….

sorry about nose woes! (Hey; that rhymed !!)

HNY

(Happy New Year)

Whitelilies

Brighty
8498 Posts

Thanks for updating us @Roy L. Keep hydrated……have some Boost and Ensure if you can, just to have some nutrition….so glad you had a nice Christmas!!!!! Sorry about those nose hairs!!!!! When is your next treatment?

@Roy L. My doctor never told me about the nose hair thing. I never had any itching; however, I think there is something even more important to know. You do not get any warning when anything is going to drip out of your nose. Sorry if TMI. Who knew those nose hair were early warning devices as well as filters? Germs and dust also get in there easier. You may do more sneezing. See a pattern?

cancertakesflight

Glad you are hanging in there okay my friend, @Roy L.

Roy L.
519 Posts

@Runner Girl Glad I could make you chuckle. Of all the things I was worried about, nose hairs were not high on the list. LOL But it is very annoying.

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Roy

#peacelovecure

Roy L.
519 Posts

Thanks @Brighty I do keep some of that in the fridge for those days I just dont feel like eating.

My next oncologist appt is Jan 11 and next chemo is Jan 13. No rest for the weary 😎

Roy

#peacelovecure

Roy L.
519 Posts

@cancertakesflight thankfully Runner girl filled me in on the lose of nose hair. I would have totally freaked out. It is making it very difficult to read my new book, must keep lots of kleenex handy. LOL

Had to nap this afternoon, totally wiped out. But doing alright so far.

Hope all is well with you.

Roy

#peacelovecure

Sadie12
207 Posts

I really underestimated the power of nasal hair before I lost mine.

I just wanted to say that, I had a bit of trouble with my bald nasal cavities during the cold winter and dry air in the house during my last 2 chemo cycles. Secaris is an over the counter nasal lubricant that the pharmacist recommended.

So glad to read this group with it's sense of humour.

Best of luck with the rest of your treatments, @Roy L.

Sadie

JustJan
1728 Posts

@Roy L. glad things are going reasonably well. The nose hair was definitely annoying. Keeping your nose lubricated as @Sadie12 suggested is very helpful. The other annoying hair loss was in the ears. Found I had to clean my ears more often. You really do lose hair EVERYWHERE.

Glad you had a nice Christmas and got some Althea snuggles. Best gift ever.

@Roy L.

What was the name of that drug again? I hate trimming nose hair - one of the reasons I have a moustache. Now that is probably TMI.

Glad that you seem to be handling it all with your usual panache.

Angus

Bluenoser13
77 Posts

Hey @Roy L.

i knew you would be ok, you’ve got this. Nothing like a new granddaughter to give you hope and the fighting spirit you have. Glad the first session went well and you had a great Christmas. Now when you watch those Hallmark movies, they will think the kleenex is for your nose! Enjoy the rest of the festive season and try some energy drinks if you’re not feeling up to a regular meal. Take care!

Cynthia Mac
3983 Posts
Roy L.‍ , so, when I was a kid, my grandma always had a tissue tucked in the sleeve of her blouse or sweater. Fast forward about 40 years, and I finally understood why: apparently, age-onset allergies run in the family! Now, I don’t do what she did, but I do keep a tissue tucked in every sewing box and knitting bag around the house and even the odd one in a knitted armchair pocket.

When Dad was in chemo, he ended up having a chronic runny nose, too, but he didn’t lose all his hair, so I suspect that in his case it was just because of the soft-tissue thing that comes with chemo. He went “old school” and used handkerchiefs. I’m not sure which is more gross!

Anyway, I hope you are able to manage that side effect well, and that these tips give you some ideas...
Roy L.
519 Posts

@WestCoastSailor the nose stuff is called SECARIS, grabbed some yesterday and made a huge difference. Not nearly as itchy as it was. It was at the pharmacy with all the other nose spray stuff.

Cheers

Roy

#peacelovecure

Roy L.
519 Posts

@Sadie12 Thank you so much for the nose spray suggestion, picked some up yesterday and much better today. Not nearly as itchy and other things.

All the Best.

Roy

#peacelovecure

Sadie12
207 Posts

Hi @Roy L.

I'm glad that you are getting relief. I might have mentioned that mine was in a tube of gel format. I don't know if there is a difference in the ingredients.

All the best to you,

Sadie12

Roy L.
519 Posts

@Sadie12 you are correct it is in a gel form, not sure where my mind was. LOL

Is it too early for chemo brain, hehehe

Roy

Fiche
12 Posts

I have been on treatment for multiple myeloma for 5 months but haven’t lost all my hair, it’s just thinned. In January I get the big blast of Melphalan which will kill everything apparently,and my hair will fall out. I did NOT KNOW about the nose hairs!!! It makes sense but yikes, I am really glad to have this information!!
thank you! 😀

+ Reply