+ Reply
Side effect
Dave58
290 Posts

After my last immunotherapy treatment I'm experiencing a side effect that's driving me nuts. My nipples have become so sensitive it's all I can do to wear a tee shirt. By afternoon they go from sensitive to painful. It's on the list to speak with the Doc tomorrow but if anyone has experienced this or has some ideas of relief I'd love to hear from you !!!!

9 Replies
Runner Girl
2289 Posts

@Dave58

Does it help if you put a bandaid over them to minimize the friction?

Runner Girl

elle29
742 Posts

Yah I understand the driving u nuts part ! Use Benedryl, Reactin helps a bit .
… I have very itchiness , lobaster red skin , since surgery , scans , every CT , with anything cold on my body, sometimes internally , especially Hands , limb s , from; , cold water , cold air , cold Weather, handling ice, Washing, etc

Dave58
290 Posts

@Runner Girl @elle29 I tried band aids yesterday but they came off just from my tee shirt gently rubbing them. elle, I'll try some of your suggestions today.. THANKS all !

S2020
715 Posts

@Dave58, another option is to buy a cheap, cotton t-shirt at Dollarama in a size one size smaller than you usually wear, cut off the top under the underarms, and wear the body part of the t-shirt as a tube top around your chest. Initially, the nipples will be sensitive when the fabric presses against them, but then it may subside.

If that doesn’t work, you could try the band-aids and tube top together because the tube top may keep the band-aids in place.

It’s an uncomfortable side effect. I hope you have relief from it soon.

Whitelilies
1667 Posts

@Dave58 Hi Dave……I recall at marathon (I volunteered at……not to run; just help with bag-check)…..that the runners would “tape” their nipples down, as the Entry Numbers, they wore, would “hurt” them……so perhaps there is a “Runners Tape?”…..google this product, site of a Runners World…..just an idea…..trying to help…..it may be super strong/sticky/helpful.

I hope your pain subsides…..

Whitelilies

Ang11
4 Posts

Just a few thoughts…what about trying the nipple shields/protectors that breastfeeding moms use when they have sore nipples. I am sure Walmart would sell them. You might need to wear it with something like a tight sports bra to hold it in place. What about trying Udderly Smooth cream or other nipple creams recommended for breastfeeding moms with sore nipples? Hope your Doc can help!

JustJan
1134 Posts

@Dave58 I was going to suggest wearing a tight soft cotton undershirt under your clothes. The idea of the breastfeeding shields is a good one. There may also be cream specifically for sensitive nipples for breast feeding moms. Time to take a stroll down the baby aisle at the drug store. Hope you can find something that brings you relief.

Dave58
290 Posts

@Whitelilies @S2020 @Ang11 @JustJan Thanks for all your advise. I'm going to try the shields first. I'll use painters tape if need be. Such a wealth of info on this site !!!!

@Dave58

I know I promised to get here a few days ago but life has finally slowed down enough for me to get to the important stuff. Like sore nipples. So the first thing to realize is that since I had breast cancer that came with a bilateral mastectomy. By the time I got to immunotherapy for my lung cancer, I had no nipples. But I had scars that were tender for awhile.

I had an old T-shirt that I just cut “nipple holes" into that left the scars open to the air. I then wore a baggy wool sweater over that for modesty sake.

I like the cream idea that several people suggested. I did a lot of first aid for marathons and we had a big jar of Vaseline that runners loved for the chafing on inner thighs. (of course @Dave58's Sweet Baboo aka Squirrelbutt may object to that at laundry time.

If you are going the bandaid route, in the medical supplies isle look for a wonderful soft tape called “Medipore.” Cut a telfa pad to cover the nipple and then tape that sucker down with the tape. I used to patch up sweaty construction workers so I know that stuff will stick. And it breathes so you can shower and stuff with it. The radio techs might not like it depending on their targeting but it is pretty gentle to remove (assuming you have the typical hairy male chest - that can be an issue with the band-aid approach.)

Have fun. Be creative. And good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

Angus

+ Reply