+ Reply
Herceptin issues
JMH
10 Posts
@JMH​​​​​​
Wondering if anyone else had heart issues with Herceptin. My Muga score dropped significantly after 2 sessions so I am on a break from it hoping my heart recuperates. I have my surgery next week, Oct 14, and then another Muga. I have finished my 6 rounds of neoadjuvent Chemo. I’m worried about surgery and reduced heart function and not sure how much exercise is safe. My pulse is always high right now. Any thoughts❤️
8 Replies
Runner Girl
2144 Posts

@JMH

Heart issues are not uncommon with Herceptin. That is why we are tested regularly when we are receiving treatment with it. Most issues resolve themselves once Herceptin is stopped.

With regard to exercise, please consult with your oncologist. They may want you to stop all exercise while your heart recovers - they will know best.

When I was doing treatment my oncologist limited my running distance to 10 km per run - I regularly ran half marathons and distances greater than 15 km on training runs. I did not have any noted heart issues but I can say that 6 months after finishing Herceptin I had a noticeable uptick in my running ability and how my heart felt.

I'm going to tag @Buffythevampire and @S2020 who also had Herceptin treatment.

You might want to drop in on this conversation also https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/48/69519?post_id=362221#p362221

Runner Girl

Boby1511
595 Posts

@JMH

hi there.

I had 2 heart attacks in my surgery. Took almost a year after surgery for my chest to stop aching from the chest pumps.
I did doxorubicin (chemo) which is also bad for the ticker.

But I’m still here. Success story really.

sending you best wishes. recover swiftly!

S2020
588 Posts

Hi @JMH,

That’s unfortunate you have reduced heart function after two Herceptin treatments. As @Runner Girl indicated, it’s important to consult with your oncologist or oncology cardiologist regarding exercise. The recommendations will vary from patient to patient.

I was told that many patients‘ heart function improves after a break from Herceptin and/or with medications. I hope the same for you. I had excellent heart function before starting treatments last year and now it is borderline. I continue to receive treatments and I am being closely monitored.

Like you, I was concerned about surgery and heart function, but both surgeries were uneventful as far as my heart goes.

Wishing you a good outcome with your surgery on Thursday, @JMH. Sending best wishes for a quick recovery.

@Boby1511, that sounds frightening to have had two heart attacks during surgery and a year-long recovery from the heart attacks. Were you receiving Herceptin, too? Sorry to read you had such a miserable experience.

@Runner Girl, thank you for the tag. Your name is not coming up here when I try to tag you. I’m getting a Runnergal, but no Runner Girl.

#Herceptin #LVEF #cardiotoxicity #cardiacgls

Boby1511
595 Posts

@S2020

lol I didn't mean to frighten. Just meant to show that even the worse case scenarios can have successful outcomes.

Heart doesn't even bother me today!

S2020
588 Posts

@Boby1511, great to read your heart doesn’t bother you now!

@JMH I had a MUGA prior to starting my treatment which included Herceptin. I was told that my heart beat changed slightly but not enough to stop treatment. I was also told that my heart would recover once I was finished treatment.

Kit08
20 Posts

@JMH I am in a similar but different situation to you. I had a mastectomy May 26th, clear boarders no node involvement triple positive invasive Paget’s and IDC. Recommended treatment was 12 weekly paclitaxol and 17 herceptin every three weeks. I managed 6 weeks of treatment which had 2 infusions of herceptin. Echocardiogram showed my heart weakened which caused a severe leaky valve. The Oncology Cardiologist has me on some Meds to help strengthen my heart and remaining chemo is cancelled. (Was more insurance to protect against recurrence than treating the cancer)

Once the heart muscle strengthens they hope the valve issue will resolve. I will then continue with hormone treatment.

I am 3 Weeks on The heart meds and have a cardiac MRI scheduled on Oct 25.

My baseline echo was good before treatment, but I have had previous radiation and chemotherapy 25 years ago for Hodgkin’s that likely did some damage that didn’t appear until they added the herceptin.

I am staying active, gentle yoga 4x per week and walking my dog. Listening to my body and not pushing to hard because of the valve issue.

Wishing you all the best! Please keep us posted with your progress if you like.

JMH
10 Posts

@Kit08 thank you for the response ❤️ My surgery is upcoming Thursday and my oncologist has put everything on hold til then. I am trying to be active, I walked regularly until August when my chemo seemed to get the better of me ( I felt like my legs were in concrete)and I slowly stopped exercising. My resting heart rate is around 105 right now so doing housework puts it at 150🤣. I’ve started doing just easy stretches and tai chi and trying to walk. The most I can get in is .5 km and that’s with stopping and resting. Trying to listen to my body also. Please let me know how you are doing also, I’m sending positive vibes and good wishes ❤️

+ Reply