+ Reply
Covid booster shots
Kuching
317 Posts

The NACI has issued a directive on giving third Covid shots. Sorry, can’t figure out how to post the link. Here’s the relevant bit for us:

“….moderately to severely immunocompromised individuals … who have previously received a 1 or 2 dose complete primary series …. should be offered an additional dose of an authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.”

Then they have a list of who is considered immunocompromised, including:

”active treatment for solid tumour or hematologic malignancies”

They make a point of saying that this is NOT a booster shot, it’s actually a third shot to bring us up to par with the rest of the vaccinated population.

Now we wait for the provinces to decide whether to follow these guidelines. There is also the ethical issue, that a large part of the world still hasn’t had one shot, never mind three. To dodge this guilt trip, I sent a donation to UNICEF for vaccines in poor countries. At the moment the Canadian government is matching these donations, so you get twice the bang for your buck. That way I won’t feel quite so bad if I get a third shot.

8 Replies
ACH2015
2126 Posts

Hi @Kuching I found a link from NACI https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/immunization/national-advisory-committee-on-immunization-naci/summary-september-10-2021-additional-dose-covid-19-vaccine-immunocompromised-following-1-2-dose-series.html that discusses what you are saying.

As I have said on the site many times, our health, and all treatments should not depend on the geographical area we live in. It is concerning in many ways as to the level of care (not just cancer care) patients receive based on which province you live in.

Covid 19 has brought into the light of day (to all that choose to understand) the vast differences in which provinces decide how much care patient X gets and under what circumstances. There needs to be Federal standards applied to standards toward ensuring Canadians get the same standard of treatment across the board - for all health care.

Until the world has received the vaccines in sufficient quantities - we will all continue to be at risk. That is another matter that requires cooperation and dedicated decisions on travel, and equal access to vaccines. The bigger problem is going to hit countries that have their populations vaccinated - and now require either booster or annual vaccine shots. Too many unknowns as to exactly when this will be needed and again dependent on which vaccines we received initially. I got AZ x 2, and that vaccine is no longer a front line vaccine in Canada, so my covid immunity levels may not be as good as someone that got one or two mRNA vaccines. Quite the mess we are in as a world.

Keep well and keep safe.

ACH2015

D1955
57 Posts
Our Cancer Center Kitchener gave a list to our Public Health and we got a call for my husband to go get a 3rd dose. No appointment just walk in to the clinic, done.
ACH2015
2126 Posts

I just got back from a check up with my GP. I asked him about getting a booster or 3rd shot of the covid vaccine.

He said - No. As I am not in active treatment or dealing with cancer - I don't need another shot. Only if immuno compromised due to cancer / treatment / or other immuno issue.

Just thought I'd share here.

Keep well and keep safe.

ACH2015

Kuching
317 Posts

Ontario has now extended eligibility for third vaccine doses to people under active treatment for solid tumours.

…and I still can’t seem to paste and copy a link here! Anyway, it’s out there!

@Kuching Thank you so much for sharing.

Here is some additional info from the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS):

Additional dose for immunocompromised populations

CCS is monitoring emerging evidence related to the effectiveness of a third dose or booster dose of COVID-19 vaccine in people with cancer and other immunocompromised people.

In September 2021, NACI recommends for individuals moderately to severely immunocompromised and in the authorized age groups who have previously received a 1- or 2-dose complete primary series, including those who received a mixed vaccine schedule, should be offered an additional dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine. Moderately to severely immunocompromised individuals due to cancer type or treatment include:

o Active treatment for solid tumour or hematologic malignancies

o Receipt of chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-T-cell therapy or hematopoietic stem cell transplant (within 2 years of transplantation or taking immunosuppression therapy)

o Active treatment with the following categories of immunosuppressive therapies: anti-B cell therapies (monoclonal antibodies targeting CD19, CD20 and CD22), high-dose systemic corticosteroids (refer to the Canadian Immunization Guide for suggested definition of high dose steroids), alkylating agents, antimetabolites, or tumor-necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors and other biologic agents that are significantly immunosuppressive.

Other non-cancer related immunocompromised individuals include:

o Receipt of solid-organ transplant and taking immunosuppressive therapy

o Moderate to severe primary immunodeficiency (e.g., DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)

o Stage 3 or advanced untreated HIV infection and those with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome

If you meet the eligibility for an additional dose, we recommend you talk to your healthcare team about whether the benefits will outweigh the risks, about which of the approved COVID-19 vaccines is right for you, and to determine the best timing of the dose based on your unique circumstance.

Currently, there is no data on the efficacy/effectiveness of an additional dose of a COVID-19 vaccine following a 1- or 2-dose primary series in individuals with immunocompromising conditions.

There is emerging evidence that indicates that humoral immune responses increase after a third dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine is administered to adults with immunocompromising conditions, although the degree of the increase varies between studies and based on the type of immunocompromising condition or treatment.

A survey of people with cancer conducted by the Canadian Cancer Society in August 2021 found that about 86% of respondents would accept a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine if offered.

Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Quebec will begin offering third doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to those at highest-risk.

Several countries have implemented or in the process of implementing policies on additional doses for immunocompromised people including France, Germany, the United States, UK, Denmark, Norway and Israel.

I hope this info is helpful for folks,

Lacey

Rochelle
11 Posts
Kuching‍ I'm in Toronto and reached out to the COVID vaccine clinic at NYGH where I've been receiving my chemo treatments and my past vaccines. (Yesterday I finished 6 months on Xeloda!! My last treatment after 15 months of chemo, lumpectomy, radiation & chemo #2 for TNBC) I was told I need a letter from my oncologist in order to receive a 3rd dose. I have put in the request.
PS2020
20 Posts

@Rochelle Sounds like you and I had the exact same treatment for TNBC. I finished on Wednesday this week. Congrats on completing treatment! I am at PMH and they advised they will be contacting patients it may take a while to cycle through everyone.

Kuching
317 Posts

Good news! Latest studies show that cancer patients are well protected by Covid vaccines.
https://apple.news/Ap_Cq1AFLTNmm_wYRqGTAOQ

+ Reply