+ Reply
Capcetabine side effects
Mamabear41
44 Posts
Hi there, so I’m on cycle One of 5 cycles of capox. I started last Thursday and anytime I eat now an hour later I’m in a lot of pain; doesn’t matter what I eat, it’s so bad at times that I now only eat when I have to take my medication other than that I don’t eat which is frustrating. Anyone have any tips or idea s on what to do , thanks in advance
5 Replies
supersu
263 Posts

@Mamabear41

oh mamabear! that sounds awful!!
sorry you are struggling with this drug.

I cannot offer any insight, but I will tag this post with the #capcetabine hashtag, in hopes that others who have personal experience might see it.

have you reached out to your team? perhaps there is some type of med, (I'm thinking panteloc or something like that), that could sooth the digestive tract? I dunno….I'm no doctor, but I do know that there are pharmacological miracles for lots of the side effects of our cancer treatments.

I hope you get some relief….
I consider eating good food one of my biggest pleasures in life….I hope you can get some resolution with this side effect soon.

cheers/hugs
su

#pharmacology #sideeffects

Rochelle
6 Posts
Mamabear41
Sorry to hear you are having issues with food. Nutrition is key to giving us strength to get through these treatments.
I am just starting cycle 6 of 8 of Xeloda (Capcetabine) for TNBC. I've had a rough time with hand/foot syndrome and just had my dose reduced for the 4th time. I would recommend calling your chemo clinic for advice on how to proceed. I've found they had good advice and would also send a note to my oncologist.
Good luck!

Sorry to hear of your food/eating issues @Mamabear41 . I'm not familiar with the conncection of that drug and eating issues. I'm not sure if it will give you the answers you seek, but CCS does have a booklet called Eating well when you have cancer.

We also have a group on here with the same name where you may find similar stories. And of course you can call 1--888-939-3333 , our Cancer Information Helpline to see if they have any recommendations for you.

Hopefully one of our members will chime in with what worked for them.

I wish you relief from this soon as that is a big obstacle for sure.

Lianne

Patjane
1 Posts
I developed acid reflux while on Xeloda and my oncologist prescribed a proton pump inhibitor to reduce the stomach acid. This did help. It seems the drug increases stomach acid. Bot sure whether that is your problem.

ACH2015
2050 Posts

@Mamabear41

Reading about the side effects of the drugs, I found this:

Feeling sick

Your doctor will give you anti-sickness drugs to help prevent or control sickness during your treatment. Take the drugs exactly as your nurse or pharmacist tells you. It is easier to prevent sickness than to treat it after it has started.

If you feel sick, take small sips of fluids often and eat small amounts regularly. It is important to drink enough fluids. If you continue to feel sick, or are sick (vomit) more than once in 24 hours, contact the hospital as soon as possible. They will give you advice. Your doctor or nurse may change the anti-sickness drug to one that works better for you.

Tummy pain

You may:

• get pain or discomfort in your tummy (abdomen)
  • feel bloated
  • have indigestion or wind.

Your doctor can give you drugs to help improve these symptoms. Tell them if the pain does not improve or if it gets worse.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/xelox-or-capox

If these side effects are related to what you describe as pain, perhaps check with your medical team about the medications that may help to reduce or stop this pain for you.

Hope this helps

ACH2015

+ Reply