+ Reply
Hair Loss- Which Shampoo

Does Anyone know of a really good, gentle Shampoo for Alopecia with Chemotherapy. the hair I have left is very thin, brittle. I was using Nioxin however now I read that I should avoid it?

5 Replies
S2020
348 Posts
CancerChick83‍, I just saw in your other post that you are also having a painful, itchy scalp. Fragrance-free Dove bar soap for sensitive skin is very soothing on the scalp. Rinse with lukewarm water instead of hot water. I hope you have relief from this soon.
JustJan
740 Posts
CancerChick83‍ the head can be quite sensitive when your hair starts falling out. I found using coconut oil on my head really helped with that. I also slept on a satin pillow case. For shampoo, I used Aveeno baby shampoo which was very gentle.

Also, please don’t forget to put sunscreen on your head. I did it everyday after my shower just so I wouldn’t forget.

I hope you can find some relief. It did find my head settled down after a few weeks.
Lulu Paris
33 Posts

@CancerChick83 there is a Terapo Medik Well-Being Care Kit that contains shampoo and an after shampoo product. A little pricey but I found gave me immediate relief from any discomfort. Also used as my hair was growing in as my scalp will quite sensitive for a long time.

PS2020
16 Posts

I've been using Aveda's invati advanced shampoo and conditioner. I like that it promotes hair growth. It's a bit on the expensive side but I don't use a lot post chemo with my short hair.

Mammabear
164 Posts
Shave it off and the sensitivity will go away. And don't bother with shampoo when the new virigin hair come in. Don't need it. Hair is self cleaning. I just use water and conditioner because it is crazy curly.
+ Reply