+ Reply
Adaptive clothing for PICC line and IV
KDW2021
9 Posts

Hi all.
I wonder whether or not anyone has purchased, or had made, clothing which opens at the shoulder and/or down the side, to accommodate an IV. I'm looking at various types of tshirts; some with snaps and others with velcro.
DH receives chemo as an in-patient, and is in week 7 of probably 16 or so. He doesn't like to ask nurses to help him “disconnect” to put on a shirt. So, has been generally in PJ pants and no shirt thus far. I'm wondering whether or not it's worth the effort to get a shirt or two. Also, is velcro or snap easier to fasten with your non-dominant hand?

TIA for any input.

9 Replies

@KDW2021 I adapted an old sweatshirt by putting a zipper on the arm. I cut the inside seam on the arm and sewed a zipper. I was told that it was easier to find a vein if the arms were warm. I'm right handed and my iv was on my right arm.

KDW2021
9 Posts

@Buffythevampire Did you sew in a separating zipper all the way down to the hem? He’s connected to IV for up to 5 days at a time.

@KDW2021 The zipper I used was about 14" but you might have to adjust to the arm length and where the pic line is located. I used a basic zipper putting the pull at the cuff of the sleeve.

@KDW2021 - this might be more than you are asking for but I got my mom a gown from here:

https://www.giftgowns.com/collections/mens-hospital-gowns

He might not want the length of the gown but he could wear pants underneath it, maybe even tuck it in or have it shortened. Just a thought. Your local medical supply place might have something too.

I hope you find something that is suitable.

Lianne

chrys21
119 Posts
Hi KDW2021

check out zippaport.ca for an idea. These shirts are for kids but if you or someone you know has sewing skills you could adapt some pj tops or other tops in this way.

good luck!
KDW2021
9 Posts

Thank you @Buffythevampire @Lianne_Moderator @chrys21 for your suggestions. It's hard for me to tell from the photos whether or not the shoulders open.

DH is generally shirtless, because when he's hooked up for 3-5 days at a time, there's always a line attached. It's not a few hours here and there… 🤔

Hi @KDW2021 - in the one I linked to, the shoulders do unsnap along with the back. My mom had some stuff hooked up to her and it was quite helpful.

You might even be able to find a seamstress to take a regular, perhaps a little oversized, tshirt and put snaps into it.

Lianne

KDW2021
9 Posts

Hi again @Lianne_Moderator Was your mom able to dress herself with the snap tops?
I'm debating snaps vs velcro (and will admit that I personally despise velcro for snagging).

KDW2021
as I was reading your question I was thinking velcro might have been easier. You know how sometimes snaps can be very tight for lack of a better description? One of the times she could dress herself but when she recently broke her shoulder she couldn't and even I struggled with the tight snaps

Lianne
+ Reply