+ Reply
First Chemo treatment
MelBis81
8 Posts
Had my first chemo treatment on Monday. Beside the nausea and heartburn I feel like I slept all week... is that normal?
10 Replies
JustJan
508 Posts
MelBis81‍ congratulations on getting through your first treatment. Sleep can certainly be a normal reaction to chemo depending on the kind and how often you get it. I found for me the first few days I didn't sleep a lot because of the steroids but then I certain did take more naps for the week following.

If you can, try to get out for a short walk, even if just to the end of your driveway. This can help with the fatigue.
Boby1511
392 Posts
MelBis81
Hi there,
I did doxorubicin (chemo). Like JustJan, they gave me steroids for the first 3 days. So I had no sleep for first 3 or 4 days, then slept a lot.
Fatigue can be quite common.
Sending you best wishes as you begin treatment.
MelBis81
8 Posts
Boby1511‍ , JustJan‍ ‍
My treatment is quite strong. A mix of DOXOrubicin, Cyclophosphamide et CISplatin. I'll be losing my hair...

Today seem a bit better so far... Hopefully I will have a break before my second treatment.
JustJan
508 Posts
MelBis81‍ I do hope you feel better. I did find at the end of every first week of chemo, I would look at my husband and say I can’t do this anymore. He would take my hand and say “I know this is really hard but you are strong and you can do this”. A couple of days later I would say to myself “Bring it!” I hope you can find the strength to rise above it and be able to say “Bring it!”
MelBis81
8 Posts
JustJan
I have no choice to bring it! I have a 16 months old son I want to be here for. I want to be here to at least when he can take care of himself. So that’s many years. I just hope things will out.
Cheering you on MelBis81‍ !
Boby1511
392 Posts
MelBis81
I feel for you. Such a little guy.
Yes you will lose your hair. With dox I lost the hair head to toe started almost right away. By second or third week had to shave the head. Was just to much mess, hair trails everywhere I travelled. Even lost the eyebrows and nose hairs.
Carry kleenex if your nose hair go, nose seems to run all the time for no reason.
You go every 3 weeks? I found with dox that I would just about feel good than the next day was chemo again. Almost seemed cruel. But I had the max dose of dox.
Drink lots of fluids and rest as needed. Be kind to yourself and try to not do it all.
MelBis81
8 Posts
Boby1511

I'm on the 5th day of chemo... I assume I will see my hair fall soon. I went for a wig consult, I should get it sometime next week. Not looking forward to losing my hair... eyelashes stays at least right? I've been sleeping on and off since monday... I guess it's good for rebuilding my immune system. I wish I could do more with my little guy...
Mee
18 Posts
Hi @MclBis81, Welcome!
I just finished my second chemo treatment for IDC left breast, HER2+, ER-, and unfortunately, ALL your hair goes, from everywhere!. My head hair fell out just prior to my second chemo treatment, but thanks to all the posters, I wasn't devastated. From what the other gals have said, losing your nose hair is the worst! Not looking forward to that experience, but I've also been told that it all eventually will grow back, so don't be disheartened. This is all just part of the journey, so stop to smell the flowers along the way!!! We're all cheering for you, and for each other!
Boby1511
392 Posts
MelBis81
Pretty sure I kept the eyelashes. Although never had much to begin with.
I never tried the wigs... heard they are hot and can be itchy. But don't know.
I just wore hats, and a bike skull cap to keep the hat in place.
Sleeping very common. Got a white count booster and I slept probably 20 hours for a few days, and joints hurt.
The body and facial hair does grow back quick. I finished chemo in Nov, completely bald and by Christmas I had eyebrows! Didn't even notice, who looks at themselves that much? I looked like a bald sasquatch! For xmass photos! My niece mentioned someone needed a tweezer fix, but I didn't realize she was talking about me!
My head hair is a couple inches, doesn't look too shabby actually. I suit short short hair.
Your little guy just needs you close and feel your love.
Also try a gentle toothpaste (no whitener)... mouth sore can be very bad. Rinse often before they show up.
Sending you best thoughts.
+ Reply