+ Reply
Starting carboplatin
Justin1980
8 Posts
Hi group. Found out yesterday I will get 1 short round of chemo shortly. Have testicular cancer,surgery went well. This will be used as prevention to ensure all cancer is gone. Does anyone have experience with carboplatin? I've looked online and tried searching,I've only seen generic info. Not much discussing how people felt it hairless etc. Thanks group
1 Replies
Runner Girl
1555 Posts
Hi Justin1980‍ ,

I had 2 rounds with carboplatin as one of my chemo's. Doectaxal was the other. The Carboplatin is a platinum based drug. I found it affected my ears/throat, which have always been a weak point for me, having had many ear infections thru my childhood. The first round I had really bad pain in my throat and ears. So my oncologist reduced the chemo to 80% for the second round. This time, the next morning, I had zero balance. My inner ear was affected. I could not walk down the stairs without holding on for dear life. This effect disappeared within 24 hours. I have been left with a constant ring in my ears.

Below is a list of the potential side effects, remember each of us will experience it differently as our bodies are different.

The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking Carboplatin:
  • Low blood counts (including red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets)
  • Nausea and vomiting usually occurring within 24 hours of treatment
  • Taste changes
  • Hair loss
  • Weakness
  • Blood test abnormalities: Abnormal magnesium level
These are less common (occurring in 10-29%) side effects for patients receiving Carboplatin:
  • Burning sensation at the injection site
  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Mouth sores
  • Infection
  • Peripheral neuropathy: Although uncommon, a serious side effect of decreased sensation and paresthesia (numbness and tingling of the extremities) may be noted. Sensory loss, numbness and tingling, and difficulty in walking may last for at least as long as therapy is continued. These side effects may become progressively more severe with continued treatment, and your doctor may decide to decrease your dose.
  • Central neurotoxicity: Infrequent but patients over age 65 are at increased risk. Symptoms include dizziness, confusion, visual changes, ringing in the ears.
  • Nephrotoxicity (see kidney problems): More frequent when Carboplatin is given in high doses or to people with kidney problems.
  • Hearing loss (ototoxicity) - loss of high-pitched sounds.
  • Abnormal blood electrolyte levels (sodium, potassium, calcium).
My advice to you, sip cool water while having your infusion to lessen the chance of mouth sores. Ask for bags of ice for your hands and feet to lessen the chance of peripheral neuropathy. The cold slows the chemo down so you don't get the full hit in these cells. My cancer centre was more than happy to provide the bags of ice, they had special bags that had a pocket on the side for your hand/foot to slide into.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Runner Girl
+ Reply