+ Reply
Running out of options fast
Dauntless
45 Posts
I have found on this site and the other site I am on that people can be years on one Targeted Drug, or Immunotherapy, or even on chemo Alimta maintenance for years.
I have run through so may treatments in three years that is is getting scary.
Afatinib, Keytruda, Chemo, NED for 9 months, progression, back on Afatinib for a year, progression, two chemos that I could not tolerate. had a lung biopsy, at my insistence for the T790M mutation to try Tagrisso, but, didn't have it, Now on Vinorelbine. the last line of chemo for my cancer, NSCLC

, Asked to see a Radiation Oncologist, to see about SBRT, a one time blast to the large tumor that some people have had that completely obliterated the tumor to scar tissue. Told yesterday could not do it because my large mass is too close to esophagus, another disappointment.
So, I will stay on The chemo Vinorelbine as long as I can tolerate. Side effects are pain, muscle, joint, bone, I can't find anything to ease it.
Being referred to Palliative Care to see if some sort of cocktail can help with the pain to get me through.
I was assured that if this chemo stops working they will try regular radiation requiring 8-10 treatments.

My question is,,,,Has anyone been on this Chemo Vinorelbine,,did it work..how did you deal with overall body pain...how long were you on it before progression? Any information greatly appreciated.
Dauntless...Dianne
3 Replies
Runner Girl
1405 Posts
Hello Dauntless

I'm sorry for your situation and I have no experience with your chemo or other treatments. But I wanted to ask if you have tried acupuncture for your muscle, joint and bone pain. I had similar pain on Tamoxifen, to the point where my feet hurt so badly it was hard to walk/run. After 1 acupuncture treatment all of my pain was gone and with a tune up every 3 weeks I was able to live pain free.

Might be worth a try.

Runner Girl
K7698
32 Posts
Sorry you are having such a hard time with the side effects Dauntless‍ , I was wondering how you are doing. Hopefully they can find some way to ease the pains. No experience with that drug to share, I read that it is also used for MBC so may come across it yet. Really hope it works for you.
Helentess
16 Posts
I saved a copy of this article from either the Wpg Free Press or CBC news as it may work on my cancer tumors in the future. I'm always looking for options for myself.

I know the article says its for breast cancer, but further down the clinical trials mention taking LUNG tumors. Depending where you live you may try getting info on this trial. Hope this helps & gives you some encouragement. New drugs and trials seem to be popping up all the time.

New drug target valid for breast cancer as well as lymphoma
Jan 21 2021
One more piece of the puzzle has fallen into place behind a new drug whose anti-cancer potential was developed at the University of Alberta and is set to begin human trials this year, thanks to newly published research.
The results provide more justification and rationale for starting the clinical trial in May. It's another exciting stepping stone to finding out if this is going to be a new cancer treatment."
John Mackey, First Author, Professor and Director of Oncology Clinical Trials, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta
The drug PCLX-001 is designed to selectively kill cancer cells by targeting enzymes involved in myristoylation, a process key to the cell signaling system that is often defective in cancer cells. The molecule was originally developed by the University of Dundee as a treatment for African sleeping sickness. U of A cell biologist Luc Berthiaume was the first to realize it could work against cancer.
For this study, Mackey and his collaborators examined breast tumors from more than 700 women who had participated in a worldwide clinical trial for another drug in 1998. They found that 28 per cent of the tumors contained the enzyme N-myristoyltransferase 2 (NMT2), and that the patients who had those tumors were more likely to die during the following 10 years.
"This shows that one of the targets of our drug, the enzyme NMT2, is clinically important to overall survival," said Mackey, who is also co-founder and chief medical officer of Pacylex Pharmaceuticals, the U of A spinoff company set up to develop PCLX-001.
The researchers also reported that breast cancer cells treated with PCLX-001 in the laboratory were less viable, and that the drug slowed tumor growth by 90 per cent in mice with human breast cancer. These results are similar to those reported last fall on PCLX-001's effect against lymphoma, a blood cancer which affects the infection-fighting cells of the immune system.
The clinical trial will take place in three Canadian centers, including the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton, and will enroll patients with advanced and previously treated lymphoma, breast, lung, colon or bladder cancers. The aim is to find the optimal dose of PCLX-001 for effectiveness and safety.
"This will be the first time anyone has ever received PCLX-001 or a drug of this class," Mackey noted. "It's very exciting, but there are many unknowns."
The study was funded by the Alberta Cancer Foundation and the Cure Cancer Foundation.
"We've had tremendous support from the local investor and donor communities for our made-in-Alberta innovation," Mackey said.
Source:University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
Journal reference:
Mackey, J.R., et al. (2021) N-myristoyltransferase proteins in breast cancer: prognostic relevance and validation as a new drug target. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. doi.org/10.1007/s10549-020-06037-y.

+ Reply