Radiation

Radiation

Posted by Boby1511 on Jan 10, 2021 11:35 am

Any suggestions? Should I put on skin cream before radiation?
Thanks

Re: Radiation

Posted by Essjay on Jan 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Hi Boby1511‍ I used CeraVe aqua based cream. Glaxol-based cream is often advised too. I bought a huge tub and it lasted forever - made good face cream too! I used it the morning of my radiation and after. My skin held up fairly well. I had some itchiness which required some hydrocortisone cream. I developed these weird brown mole-like spots as radiation progressed but they eventually sloughed off. 

Hope that helps! When does radiation start?

Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Boby1511 on Jan 11, 2021 7:28 pm

Essjay‍ 
Thank you. I have aquaphor & glycerin cream, going see if it works on the area. Otherwise I'll get something else.
Someone suggested 3M barrier spray but I brought this today and they told me they did not recommend.
I will ask the doctor next week when I see her.
Radiation started today and will last 6 weeks, mon to fri (30 rounds).
Hope you are well.

Posted by Lefty2 on Jan 14, 2021 11:00 am

Hi, I slathered on Glaxal Base Cream (a large tub plus bonus tube available at Costco) at least 3x per day all through radiation (16 rounds), and my skin was completely healed 2 weeks after finishing. The worst that happened was minor painless blisters over my collarbone area that peeled off. On those days, I discovered that wearing a lightweight t-shirt UNDER my bra prevented the straps from rubbing. (My "Madonna" look. 🤣.) No evidence of the treatment is left on my skin. I find that Glaxal has a fresh scent like rain, or a forest.
 Best of luck to you during your treatment.

Posted by LoriTat on Jan 15, 2021 9:14 am

@Lefty2.  I was ok during radiation. Used Lubriderm 2 to 3 times a day. No issues. About 3 weeks post radiation the skin turned black, started coming off and it was raw and scabbing in spots. My daughter had had a severe grease burn on her wrist that she was prescribed Flamazine. I put this on until I could talk to my oncologist one weekend and the burn had cleared up within a week. Just giving you a tip if this should happen to you. My oncologist sent a prescription for the Flamazine to my pharmacy, so it was approved by him. Check with your oncologist. My radiation was on my neck.  Good luck with your treatments!

Posted by JustJan on Jan 15, 2021 9:46 am

Lefty2‍ my radiation oncologist recommended using Glaxal base cream and to start it 3 times a day at least a week before starting radiation. I used it at least times a day during treatment. First, after my shower, right after radiation and in the evening usually just before bed. I would use it more often if my breast was feeling irritated.  I would definitely discuss timing for using the cream around your radiation treatment. They likely won’t want you to put cream on just before or close to the time of your treatment. 

If you live near a Costco they sell Glaxal base and it came with a large tub and a smaller tub. The smaller tub I took with me to use after treatment. It was quite handy.

Wishing you well as you go through your radiation treatments. 
Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers