Brachytherapy for endometrial cancer

Brachytherapy for endometrial cancer

Posted by Miscellaneous on Jan 6, 2021 8:53 am

I'm trying to decide whether to have brachytherapy following a hysterectomy for stage 1, grade 2 endometrial cancer. I would appreciate hearing about any ladies' experience with this treatment.

Re: Brachytherapy for endometrial cancer

Posted by Trillium on Jan 6, 2021 3:29 pm

JustJan‍  Carjac87‍  cancertakesflight‍  

Miscellaneous‍ - Hello. I just tagged the ladies above who may be able to suggest others who have experience with brachytherapy.

This is the Canadian Cancer Society information guide that discusses brachytherapy and uterine cancer (link below)in case you have not seen it yet.
https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/uterine/treatment/radiation-therapy/?region=qc

How are you feeling these few days into the new year?

Posted by JustJan on Jan 6, 2021 4:05 pm

Miscellaneous‍ I was tagged to try to respond to your request. I had ovarian and not endometrial cancer and brachytherapy was not a treatment option for me. I am sorry that I can’t help you out but hoping someone can give you some information.
Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers

Posted by Carjac87 on Jan 6, 2021 5:56 pm

Hi Miscellaneous‍ !

Feel free to ask me anything about brachytherapy....I had 3 sessions.

Jacquie
~Don't sweat the small stuff~ Jacquie

Posted by Miscellaneous on Jan 6, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi.  I'd like to know what side effects, if any, that you had....both short-term and long-term.  Three treatments of brachytherapy are an option for me to reduce the chances of the cancer returning and I'm trying to decide whether to have it.

Posted by Trillium on Jan 7, 2021 12:58 pm

Miscellaneous‍ - Jacque may not see your post unless to you tag her with her forum name by putting the @Carjac87‍ at the beginning of her forum name which will turn blue and give you other names to choose from. You click on the forum name of the person you want then it appears in the post and the person gets an email notification of your post to them.     Just in case you did not know and sat for many days without a reply and wondering why.

All the best with your decision.
Trillium

Posted by Carjac87 on Jan 7, 2021 2:59 pm

Miscellaneous, hello!

I had 3 sessions of brachytherapy. Right after, I drove home & did whatever I normally would do. I felt nothing during the treatment & in fact, was very relaxed. Other than having my legs way up in the air in stirrups, of course lol

I was also given a vaginal dilator, as the radiation can cause shrinking of the vagina, but if one has sex on a regular basis, it's not needed.

As for side effects, I found I pretty much had none. Several months after, it seemed I had a bit less control of my bladder (peeing a little when laughing or sneezing) but again, that could also be due to age (I'm 65).

It's now been 3 years since my diagnosis & treatment & I am feeling fine. I was very happy to have only this treatment, & not chemo which I was afraid of.

I hope this helps you with your decision some....as I said before, feel free to ask anything....

Jacquie

Posted by Carjac87 on Jan 7, 2021 3:01 pm

Trillium‍ , thanks for tag!

Posted by Cedar on Jan 8, 2021 9:39 am

Miscellaneous‍ I also had endometrial cancer, stage1, grade 1B, and had a complete hysterectomy in Dec 2019. I had the 3 sessions of brachytherapy in March of 2020. The sessions themselves were painless, just a bit of discomfort and feeling of invasiveness. I found deep breathing & focusing on something other than what was happening in my vagina helped get through those very long 10 minutes. I had a little booklet with mindfulness tips that I read and practised during the sessions.

I used the dilator daily for the 1st 6 months, now just a couple of times a week. Both the gynecologist and oncologist said this was important, so I eventually got used to it. I find using it in the bath is most comfortable. I also had a couple of sessions with a pelvic floor pysiotherapist who helped me with exercises and understanding what was happening with my body.

As for long term side effects, there is some scarring to my digestive tract, so I no longer tolerate fats or milk in my diet. No bacon, butter, peanut butter, ice cream, mayo, etc in my diet. A small amount of chocolate is still fine, so I can live with that! I'm fairly small, so I was told the scarring happened because my organs are all fairly close together. Also, the urgency for a bowel movement or urination seemed unpredictable at first, sometimes I felt I really had to go, but nothing happened, other times it really was urgent. This has been settling down over the past year. Sex isn't the same as it was before the surgery, but my husband & I have found alternatives to the traditional. It's still good.

On the upside, I had a CT scan in December and met with the oncologist this week, and there is no sign of cancer. I don't have to go to appointments at the Cancer Clinic anymore, just 6 month followups with the gynecologist. I am cancer free!! This makes any changes to my body due to treatment totally worthwhile.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Lorna