PRODUCTS SPECIFICALLY FOR CANCER/RADIATION TREATMENT

Re: PRODUCTS SPECIFICALLY FOR CANCER/RADIATION TREATMENT

Posted by Gretha on Nov 17, 2020 10:30 am

Hi Pleuvoir,

My husband had 35 treatments of radiation for throat cancer. He finished treatments 22 months ago. He is doing fine. He was 58 when he was diagnosed. The last 3 weeks of his treatments he was only drinking Ensure. He was drinking 6 Ensure plus ( the one that has the most calories) a day, 2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch, and 2 for dinner. He would numb his mouth first with the  mouth wash and then he would drink his 2 Ensure. He had a feeding tube but he never used it. 
Before he switched to Ensure , I would make him very nutritious smoothies with protein powder, yogurt, almond butter, frozen avocado, etc. They were nutritious and full of calories. He had to stop drinking them because they were too thick, it was too hard to swallow.
For his neck, he used Aveeno cream. That is what was recommended at the hospital. He was treated at Princess Margaret. During the last week of the treatments he was putting saline compresses on his neck as his neck was getting quite red from the radiation treatments.
Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions. 

Gretha

Re: PRODUCTS SPECIFICALLY FOR CANCER/RADIATION TREATMENT

Posted by LoriTat on Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Pleuvoir‍   I hope he does remember the Flamazine, it worked like a miracle for me!   I had pretty intense pain until about 3 weeks after. I was taking Hydromorphone prescribed by oncologist. I communicated with him until we got the dosage up to where I was comfortable, that’s important, if it’s not enough, say so. I was able to eat puddings, apple sauce, jello, some noodles with cream sauce, ensure, rice pudding, mashed potatoes with lots of gravy, etc. I threw more food out because I couldn’t eat it, but you have to try to know. They had 2 mouthwashes. One was full strength, Lidodan, which you cannot swallow. Swoosh then spit out. My pain was further down my throat. Oncologist gave me a diluted form of Lidodan, which you can swallow. Swallow little bits at a time to get the best effect.  I was told by a patient to get organic coconut oil.  You chew on it until it becomes liquid, swoosh in your mouth and spit out. My mouth was really sore and this was very soothing.  Good luck going forward!