Let's talk Radiation

Let's talk Radiation

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 16, 2020 12:03 pm

How many radiation treatments did you have?
What part of the body?
What was the most challenging part?
What would you recommend to others?

A continuation of this great thread:https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/48/58900

Re: Let's talk Radiation

Posted by A291ER on Oct 31, 2020 6:52 pm

I was wondering if I should get a flu shot during my radiation treatments ?  I must ask this question when I get back to Halifax....

-A291er

Posted by ashcon on Nov 1, 2020 9:19 am

A291ER
I've been reading your posts and cheering you on as you progress through your treatments! 

Did you see this discussion on getting the Flu shot? It was posted in the "Living Well After Cancer" forum but it talks about getting the flu shot while still in treatment (supporting the idea to get it done!) 
https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/80/66481?post_id=333085#p333085

Take care, 
ashcon 

---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by A291ER on Nov 1, 2020 10:26 am

Thanks Ashcon for the link, much appreciated...today I finally got the nerve up and told my Brother and Sister about my Cancer, waiting for replies....a load off my chest
and feel much better....

- A291er

Posted by Treepeo on Nov 1, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi Lacey,

I had 15 radiation treatments to the left side of my chest.  The worst part for me started the last week of radiation.  I had what they said was a rather severe reaction, that being welts, a rash, and burns.  Fortunately for me, I had my treatments at Princess Margaret.  They gave me written information about what to do during and after radiation, and the information was invaluable.  I used Glaxal cream throughout, and the nurse at PM gave me some of an ointment called ProShield which I applied to my incision sites.  I also made saline solutions as directed, and found that J cloths were perfect for laying across my burns.  They wash easily and dry very quickly, so it was easy to keep it clean.  I didn't refrigerate my saline solution, because my skin was already so hot that even at room temperature, it felt cool.  I live alone so I was able to walk around without a top on which also helped, because I couldn't stand anything touching my chest.  The itch was incessant.  The whole burn nightmare lasted for about a month.

I would suggest that anyone who suffers radiation burns makes themselves a priority.  Take the time to treat your burns as directed by your doctor/nurse.  Stay on top of it so you don't develop any kind of infection.  And do give yourself saline treatments.  They were a lifesaver for me.

Posted by Maureen1 on Nov 4, 2020 6:24 pm

I am scheduled to start radiation.  THe oncologist indicated either 16 or 25 treatments.  I guess they will know when they tag or tattoo me.  

It will be on my right breast and axillary.  I am very worried about this, but am hoping it will go smoothly and quickly.  

Posted by Essjay on Nov 4, 2020 8:01 pm

Maureen‍ I’ve shared a link to the CCS booklet on radiation treatment which I hope helps allays some of your fears.

when you go for your preparation they will go through everything with you. They will tattoo you (tiny dots) and do lots of scans to work out the program of treatment for you. 

one thing you could do ahead of treatment is to get some water based cream - CeraVe or glaxol base we’re what I was advised.

https://www.cancer.ca/~/media/cancer.ca/CW/publications/Radiation%20therapy/32056-1-NO.pdf
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Lucy77 on Nov 5, 2020 7:55 am

Thanks to everyone for their posts on radiation. I just had my consultation about radiation. There was mention of chemo plus radiation and this was the first time I had heard that!  I go see a medical oncologist Fri. Nov. 6 . Hopefully she can answer more of my questions.
As to using creams on my breast during radiation ,I was told NOT to as it can affect the radiation. When problems arise the DR. Will then tell me what to use.  I was starting to buys creams to help,  Glaxal base, 100% Aloe etc.   I guess I put that on hold.
I am to have 25 radiation treatments and 8 Boosts.  I am feeling anxious about adding chemo into the mix as well!
Thank goodness for this group!!!

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 5, 2020 7:12 pm

Lucy77‍ Hello Lucy.....Glad your consultation is done.....if you have any more questions or concerns on Radiation (or chemo)...write them all down, and be sure to ask your Oncologist, when you have your first appt/round of Radiation.  I had Radiation (colon area).....it made me feel tired.....I had to endure a FULL bladder!!  Every day of radiation !! I never want to see a water bottle again!  You may get a "tattoo marker", to direct beams of radiation to correct area, for strength.  I can play Connect A Dot, on my belly!  I won !!

Keep posting, and sharing, we are all listening.

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian

Posted by Lucy77 on Nov 5, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks!

Posted by ashcon on Nov 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Sending this message out to Inca‍ and Marguerite‍ and anyone else who will be starting radiation soon.

This Canadian Radiation Oncologist, Dr David Palma from London, Ont wrote a book and has a website with great patient tools for anyone facing cancer. Any type of cancer. 

Here's a snippet specifically on radiation. Hope it is as helpful to you as it was to me. 
https://www.qualitycancertreatment.com/radiation-audit-until-theyve-got-it.html

Marguerite: I hope you are recovering well from your recent mastectomy.  
Inca: good luck on Monday! 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Inca on Nov 28, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you ashcon‍ Very informative!

Posted by Marguerite on Nov 28, 2020 10:26 pm

I just finished reading the Radiation Therapy guide for people with cancer
and found it very resourceful. A list of questions for a radiologist was 
also found. My appointment with Dr. P' is on December 7th and I
feel more confident in responding to her.  Thank you.