Long term sleeping aid

Long term sleeping aid

Posted by Cinderella59 on Sep 14, 2020 5:12 am

Hi everyone I’ve been having a lot of anxiety depression etc. Which I’m taking Effexor XR but still having difficulty falling and staying asleep for more than 4 hrs a night. Can anyone suggest/recommend what’s worked for you?  
I’m currently taking Zoplicone 7.5 mg at bedtime but one of my drs says you can’t take it for long term. My GP says it’s ok there’s no problem with taking it. 
Thanks for listening. 

cindy and be safe. 

Re: Long term sleeping aid

Posted by Boby1511 on Sep 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Cinderella59‍ 

sorry you're having so much difficulty.
I hope you find some peace.
I would only get advice from your medical team on matter such as these.

Posted by Mrow on Sep 15, 2020 5:46 pm

Hello Cinderella59‍ 
My sleep has not been great either. I sometimes use Melissa Dream to help me get to sleep.  It has Lemon Balm, Chamomile, B vitamins and Magnesium in it. I checked with the pharmacist at the cancer clinic who said it was OK to use during my chemo treatments. It is now available at some Shoppers locations, otherwise it has to be ordered online. It originates in the UK.
Hope you find something that works. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Sep 17, 2020 7:38 am

Cinderella59‍ , If you’re needing something the strength of Zopiclone, I doubt any ideas I might have will help. Besides, I’m a “lightweight” when it comes to drugs: 1/4 of a Gravol tablet will help me get to sleep, even on a plane. In addition to checking with your doctors, though, you could also check with your pharmacist. Sometimes they have some good ideas.

In the “herbals” department, I also use chamomile-based tea. I like Vanilla Sleepytime by Celestial Seasonings.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Stuartm on Sep 19, 2020 1:24 pm

I have been taking Zopiclone for 15 years (Chronic Insomnia since a child) with no ill effects. I take the 7.5 mg tablet about 1 hour before bed and have never had the need to increase it, it still works for me.. I also take 10 mg of Melatonin under the tongue just when I get into bed as well.

I have been told it stops working after a couple of weeks, but that has not been the case with me, it always works, for 15 years now.

I have stopped taking it for 3 weeks at a time just to see if I really need it and if it still works. I don't get much sleep for those 3 weeks and I end up going back to it.

Works amazingly well for me, and with no side effects.

Stuart

Posted by CCC888 on Sep 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi Cinderella59‍ ,
I had hesitated to post the below link earlier just for my guessing and understanding  but now I can post to reassure Stuartm‍  experience. 😀
 By the way, also find that  trouble sleeping is a side effect of Effexor xr.

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/nursing-site/Documents/Symptom%20Management%20Guidelines/15SleepWakeDisturbance.pdf
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4896/effexor-xr-oral/details#:~:text=Nausea%2C%20drowsiness%2C%20dizziness%2C%20dry,worsen%2C%20tell%20your%20doctor%20promptly.

Posted by CCC888 on Sep 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi Cinderella59‍ , Just realized I have posted an older version of document in my last post.

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/nursing-site/Documents/17.%20Sleep-Wake%20Disturbance.pdf

Posted by SpeedyStill on Sep 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Cinderella59
Boby1511‍  has the best advise. Your Doctors know you and your tolerances. 
Saying that, I too have problems sleeping and my Doctors are looking after me.
Some of us just have too much going on in our lives to get to that point where sleep comes naturally. 
Sleep is very important to a properly functioning body. 
One thing I have done for years and that is listen to music at very low volume that relaxes me. For a while now the music by itself does not work, however I still use it as an added part to my sleep regiment.
There are no side effects to relaxing music, unless you get up and start dancing lol
Do what is right for you to keep moving forward
Speedystill 

Posted by Boby1511 on Sep 19, 2020 7:04 pm

SpeedyStill‍ 

lol... get up and dance. lol. good one.
I can't even imagine at this time!
Hope you doing well.

Posted by Faith1 on Sep 26, 2020 7:19 am

Hi Cinderella59,  I have had anxiety and depression for most of my life. Some anti-depressants made it worse, some better, but the one I am taking now they say helps with mostly sleep. The name of it is Trazadone. My doctor stated it is an anti-depressant, but found it only helps with sleeping. It has helped me to sleep better for years! She said it's not addicting like sleeping pills etc... I only take 25mg a night as I am very sensitive to drugs, but it works for me. Maybe you could take it in combination with something else?? I hope this helps. Faith1