I've never met my Oncologist is person

I've never met my Oncologist is person

Posted by zimmy74 on Sep 12, 2020 12:29 pm

I am about to go into round 5 of 6 chemotherapy sessions after being diagnosed with invasive ductile carsanoma and i have never met my oncologist in person. I have only.met for one examination before starting chemo.my surgeon. I have not been examined during chemotherapy by anyone nor have there been any requests for me.to attend any scanning or what not to see how things are progressing. I understand covid issues and all but is this normal? Should I not be monitored along the way?

Re: I've never met my Oncologist is person

Posted by LGS on Sep 12, 2020 12:53 pm

I started chemo in late March, having met my oncologist once in person at the end of February. Finished chemo in late July and never saw him once during that time. I had a couple of telephone calls from him only because I left a message for him to call. This seems to be the new norm. 

Posted by zimmy74 on Sep 12, 2020 4:08 pm

Was there any testing of progression during your chemo? Did.you have chemo before surgery?

Posted by Kims1961 on Sep 13, 2020 5:27 am

zimmy74‍ 
Hello! cancer during covid has added a new challenge. Congrats on getting to 5 out of 6!!

i had treatment in 2018 for IDC breast cancer. The only testing that was done was bloodwork before each treatment and a heart test (;Muga Scan) as i was doing Herceptin as well. 
My oncologist explained they don’t do any other tests unless i became symptomatic or the blood work was not good. Sounds like this is the same protocol for you. 
That being said, it is a good question to ask your doctor.
Be sure to celebrate after that last chemo!!

kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by zimmy74 on Sep 13, 2020 11:01 am

Thank you for the replies and clarification. The last 3 rounds aren't fun amd will be glad they are.over! All the best to you ladies!