Port Problems

Port Problems

Posted by Lulu Paris on Sep 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Has anyone experience issues with their port? Mine went in the beginning of June.  They have had a couple of issues getting it to "work" the last 2 treatments and now it feels like there is a hardening above the port where the catheter runs.  It's not inflamed but feels uncomfortable and a pulling sensation.  

I'm worried if there are problems that it will delay my last 2 treatments and upcoming mastectomy.  I feel like I'm getting close to the end of this "journey" and I'm terrified it will get prolonged. 

Feeling anxious :{

Re: Port Problems

Posted by Hezz on Sep 12, 2020 9:02 am

Hi Lulu Paris‍ ...
I dont know if this is related. I've only had my power port for a month but I was finding the last 2 times they used it that they pulled so hard getting out the needle it aggravated the whole area. I talked to the nurse at chemo yesterday and asked if I could hold the port in place when the needle was removed. She said that she would do it for me. Voila...no pain, no jarring, no agrevation of the area.
Back when they put in the power port, they mentioned that the port is constructed to be on the right side. My cancer was on the right and i still need radiation, so they put my port on the left but warned me it would not "fit or feel the same" because the turns in the tubing are meant to go the other direction. Could that issue be affecting you too???
Hezz :)

Posted by Lulu Paris on Sep 12, 2020 11:04 am

Hezz‍ thanks for the reply. I have an appointment Monday with Oncologist so more to be revealed.  My dad who had colon cancer last year said he had the same hardening.  Mine is on the left as they thought they would be doing radiation on the right and I've had lymph nodes removed on the right. Ah cancer...the gift that keeps on giving. 

Posted by Lulu Paris on Sep 14, 2020 11:45 am

So port is infected.  Prescription for antibiotics.  Thankfully still going ahead with treatment this week even with "broken" port.  Advice to all with a port - ask if you think something is wrong.  :)

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 14, 2020 11:49 am

Sound advice Lulu Paris‍.

I'm glad you go it checked out and updated us! I hope the infections clears up quick!

Take care,
Lacey