Scalp care after hair loss

Scalp care after hair loss

Posted by Hmac on Sep 7, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi everyone! Anyone have any suggestions for a itchy and very flaky scalp? Since having radiation on my skull, the hair has fallen out and my scalp is very dry. It’s a yellow colour and reminds me of when my kids were babies and they had cradle cap. Any ideas? Thx! 

Re: Scalp care after hair loss

Posted by Elsie13 on Sep 8, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi Hmac‍ , You mention that your scalp is a bit like cradle cap, so perhaps you could use baby lotion, baby oil, baby shampoo?  Well, of course, ask the cancer doctor or nurse for suggestions.  I found a short paragraph with some ideas: 

"Scalp care

Without hair, your head might feel cold. Wear a hat, scarf or other head covering in cold weather. You may also want to wear your head covering to bed to help keep you warm while sleeping.

You need to protect your scalp from the sun. Wear a hat, scarf or other head covering or use sunscreen on your scalp.

If your scalp is sensitive, using a satin pillow case may reduce friction between your scalp and the pillow. This can make you more comfortable as you sleep. Gentle massage or lotions may help ease scalp discomfort. An antidandruff shampoo may help with an itchy scalp."
https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/managing-side-effects/hair-loss/?region=on

In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Hmac on Sep 8, 2020 8:17 pm

Thx Elsie13! Lots of good ideas! Appreciate the help. Also love reading that you beat the beast! 

Posted by triplepos on Sep 10, 2020 11:29 am

I use coconut oil.I purchased it at Superstore, It was the cheapest, I shopped around.  It so happened that the organic coconut oil was the cheapest bottle. So I got it all in one bottle.   It did make my head shiny and smelled really good .  It stopped the itch and made my hair grow in very soft 

Posted by Lulu Paris on Sep 11, 2020 11:57 am

It's a little expensive but will last for a long time.  Terapo Medik Well-Being Care Kit.  When my hair started to fall out I started using these products and the relief was immediate.  No pain, itching or burning.  Continue to use while I am sporting the Kojak look and if I feel any tingling, just put some of the lotion on.  Supposed to also help when hair regrowth starts.  Highly recommend.

Hers2+ since March 2020 - 4 of 6 chemo treatments complete and counting down for last 2.  

Posted by Faith1 on Sep 16, 2020 4:12 am

Hi Hmac, I'm with triplepos on this one, coconut oil really helps!😊Faith1