Picc line adhesive allergy

Picc line adhesive allergy

Posted by Lillee on Aug 25, 2020 12:34 pm

Itchy. Red. Blistering rash. This ain't fun. Well not that any of this is fun but really?!

After trying pills for 3 part cycles they decided to put a picc line in and give me the chemo once every two weeks. I have had 2 cycles now of chemo with the picc line so that makes 19 days with the picc line and all the associates bandages to hold it in place.

Normally my body doesn't respond well to any kind of bandage. This is over the top. 

Any ideas?  

Re: Picc line adhesive allergy

Posted by Chocoholic on Aug 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi,  I  know  exactly what you mean.
When I told the nurses, they had another type of bandages and tape that they could use. It worked.
Do you have to have this adhesive on for several  days?
Whenever I get a break from the adhesives, I wash the site and apply calendula cream or polysporin if it looks like it might get infected. Then let it air dry.
Sending you healing thoughts.

Posted by Hazewind on Aug 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Lillee, i had the same problem but not with pick line adhesive. I had it with those little tiny strips they put on across my surgey sight on my breast after removal of my tumour. Within hours of surgery, it became unbearably itchy, red, and swollen like hives.  I was home that same day and snipped any excess touching  my skin off so the barest of tape touched was needed. They said in 36 hours I could remove the rest. However tiny the incision was. I was able to tolerate them long enough for the outside incision to have scarred over.
I also had reactions to the sensitive skin tape ie:paper tape adhesive in the lab when they test your blood for white cells. 
so during chemo I told them how sensitive my skin was. There is an adhesive they found I did not react to and it was a stretchy brownish plastic type. They used it folded in half so they could still monitor the tube inserted without causing too much irritation. Held by an elastic sleeve. Im sure my husband took photos of this. It worked well for me without too much trouble.  

Posted by Chocoholic on Aug 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Ya, just re-read your post. You have the adhesive on for days! 
Definitely ask the nurses for help. 

Posted by Marsh on Aug 26, 2020 9:59 am

I had the same problem!!!  I told the nurse and she used a different adhesive that I no longer reacted to. Please let them know. You don't have to suffer. I was actually left with a mark that lasted for weeks after my PICC line was removed. I was so uncomfortable before they changed it.

Posted by Becks on Sep 2, 2020 6:39 am

Lillee‍ - I had the same issue in July. Turned out it was not the adhesive, but the long lasting antiseptic they put on before the adhesive. As my PICC dressing was changed weekly by an outpatient nursing centre - they had options regardless of the issue. 
Sadly the blistering left some scaring I can still see today, luckily the itching went away immediately with the change.

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 2, 2020 9:46 am

Lillee‍ 

Were you able to talk to someone and get some relief?

Lacey

Posted by Lyne on Sep 3, 2020 1:57 pm

Lillee‍ ,

I have the same problem, with my skin blisyering within minutes whenever an adhesive is used, and scars as a result.  They have tried a number of hypoallergenic tapes and bandages but after a few uses there's a reaction. 
I now have a port, which alleviate the need for tapes, and is making my life much easier than the Picc line.
Pleasr talk to your nurses, they have different options, and often tape tubes, etc to my clothes instead of my skin.  Good luck. 
Lyne

Posted by Buffythevampire on Sep 3, 2020 2:54 pm

Lillee‍ I get blisters from the adhesive too. Found out when I had my biopsy done on my left breast. Ouch did it hurt, the blister hurt more then the actual procedure. I know I am allergic to latex but didn't know that I was allergic to the adhesive. It happened during another biopsy as well. From now on I tell them to use paper tape and gauze. So far, touch wood, not allergic to those two items.

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Sep 3, 2020 3:24 pm

Lillee‍ 

Ooh I feel your pain. I was diagnosed with a latex allergy years ago and since I have also had a real tough time with any bandages.adhesives. For some things, paper tape and gauze works well but for something like your picc line that needs to be waterproof, that is not feasible. There are many the hospital or clinic can use. Sometimes they don't like to pull out the really good stuff as it is more expensive so don't be afraid to make your case for it. My mom also has this issue and had to have bandages off and on for 3 years on her abdomen. They finally found ones that worked for her. I also looked into a skin barrier spray called Bravo by coloplast ( I think that's the name ) that can go on before the bandages. The hospital will have some version of this as well. For one of my surgeries, the adhesive left worst scars than the surgery.

Hope you can find some relief

Lianne

Posted by triplepos on Sep 10, 2020 11:33 am

I had the same.  One bandage actually burned through my skin.  Now I let them know and they only use paper bandages.  I had to use hydrocortizone 2.5% for the burn and then put polysporin triple after.  I did not have any issues in the past but now my skin has changed as well, with chemo.  I still get the occassional bruise from the bandages but nothing like the burn I had with the other types 

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 10, 2020 12:03 pm

OUCH! thanks for sharing Lianne_adminCCS‍, triplepos‍, Lyne‍, Buffythevampire‍ It's important for people to know they can speak up and there are ways to avoid this. 

Lillee‍ - It's been awhile. I hope you are doing okay. Wishing you well.

Lacey

Posted by McHammer on Oct 9, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi! Lillee‍ 
I had the same thing, and there's a skin protection that can be applied before putting the adhesive bandages. It's called cavillon (probably other names too). The key, and that sneaky little detail makes all the difference between fine and second degree burn like skin, is to make sure that the alcohol is fully dry, then apply cavillon and let that FULLY dry, then the bandage.  3M bandages (orange writing) are also better, only used when requested. 
also, I don't know if you use Remove pads to remove your bandages, but if not, please do so. 
I hope that your next experience is pain free 🥰

Posted by Marsh on Oct 9, 2020 7:37 pm

The Cavillon spray is what I was given to use during radiation. It worked very well. I had 25 + 5 boosts. My skin held up very well! It does have an odd odor though until it dries!