FREE synthetic wig - Ontario

FREE synthetic wig - Ontario

Posted by LisaJoy on Jul 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Greetings!!  I have a beautiful wig I'm trying to find a new home for.  I haven't been able to find any organization that will accept it as a donation.  It was quite expensive and I wore it less than 5 times.  I'd love to give it to someone who needs it and I'm willing to ship it at my expense to anywhere in Ontario (along with the hydration spray, shampoo, conditioner).  It's just sitting unwanted and unloved and it needs a new home! 

Details: “Belle” wig purchased August 2019 from Wig Boutique in Barrie.   Retailed for $550.  Barely worn, perfect condition.  Medium brown with lighter highlights, long (see photos) and wavy.  Lace front and size adjustable. Made from synthetic fibres so very low maintenance (no blow drying, curling). 

If you know of anyone who would like this wig, please let me know!  
Attached files

Re: FREE synthetic wig - Ontario

Posted by AngelaC on Aug 1, 2020 11:38 am

LisaJoy‍   Usually the cancer clinics take donations of wigs.   In Saskatchewan, I donated my moms wigs after treatments were done in Saskatoon and in Regina, they also take them.   They send them to be professionally cleaned before putting into stock.  Women can then make appointments to get fitted and I believe it is all thru volunteers.  They usually have head scarves etc as well.   My mom was very excited as they had a good selection of grey wigs as well and she couldn’t afford to buy.  https://www.cancer.ca/en/support-and-services/support-services/hair-donations/?region=on      With Covid, everything will probably be closed, but just a FYI for folks in the future.   

Posted by Jlo on Aug 1, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi LisaJoy:

How very generous of you.  My cancer centre had a free wig exchange centre if you don't get any response.

I am outside Vancouver, but I am sure the centres in Ontario do this as well, or you could contact the Canadian Cancer Society.

best wishes
joan

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Aug 1, 2020 8:36 pm

Hi LisaJoy‍ 

How generous!

Give our Cancer Information Helpline a call they can assist you. They are open M-F 9am-7pm EST. You can reach them at 1-888-939-3333.

I hope this helps,
Lacey

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 2, 2020 10:17 am

LisaJoy‍ I live in “your wig’s hometown” — have you tried contacting Gilda’s Club across the road from the wig centre?
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by LisaJoy on Aug 3, 2020 9:08 am

Hello all!  I did reach out to the Canadian Cancer Society but was informed they no longer accept wig donations - due to hygiene reasons. They used to accept them but the cleaning fees were getting too expensive.  Having said that, I'll call again and ask.  I'll call Gilda's Club too - great idea!

Also, just found out that a good friend received a breast cancer diagnosis so I may be shipping it out to her.....

Posted by Cobble223 on Aug 4, 2020 1:45 pm

LisaJoy‍ let me know if you end up finding somewhere to donate this.

To anyone that is reading in the future I also have a wig with shampoo etc. that I'd love to give away. I wore it ZERO times (except to try it on >2 years ago) and just ended up not covering the baldness because it was sooo hot when I was going through chemo.

It is very similar to the one posted but shorter and no highlights. I can send pics to anyone if needed and I am in Toronto but of course could ship. Was $400 so it's kind of a shame - I feel guilty for not ever wearing it.

Posted by LisaJoy on Aug 5, 2020 8:44 am

Cobble223  I found a place that will accept my wig as a donation!  I called the Canadian Cancer Society (again) at the number provided in this thread.  Though their wig banks are temporarily closed due to Covid, she was able to point me in the direction of a local non-profit cancer support group "South Georgian Bay Cancer Support Centre".  I'm SO happy they'll find a new home for it!  Edited to add:  CCS confirmed that wig banks will re-open on August 17. 

Good luck on your search Cobble223

Posted by Cobble223 on Aug 5, 2020 10:45 am

LisaJoy‍  THANK YOU!!