Let's discuss...weight gain or weight loss during treatment

Re: Let's discuss...weight gain or weight loss during treatment

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm

law‍ have you tried making a "greek style" gazpacho soup? Not sure how i would go about it. Probably sprinkle grated feta over top. Not sure where to put the olives though, chop them finely and sprinkle them too maybe.... 
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by Hazewind on Jul 31, 2020 8:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your info Lacey. 
As I mentioned going Keto was the right thing for me. Also, I mentioned I have my doctors support.  I should mention that once  had cut sugars out of my diet, I also don't have the cravings I had anymore. Its like sugar begets sugar in a manor of speaking. 🤣

Posted by law on Aug 1, 2020 11:21 am

Laika57‍ 
Oh yes....when seeds + skins from tomatoes and cukes are removed, and little bits of olives + red onions are added, with  the feta it is yummy. Thx for your ideas.
law

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Aug 1, 2020 8:18 pm

Hazewind‍ - Great to hear!

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 2, 2020 9:12 am

My Dad gained weight over his first course of chemo (cisplatin and pemetrexed) for his lung cancer. He decided that since chemo could cause weight loss (partly due to loss of appetite), he would just eat all the steak and potatoes he wanted. (There were only the two food groups in his world.)

When he had to have a second course, it was a little different. In retrospect, I don’t think his heart was in it that time, because his second course happened when they discovered that his cancer had metastasized, so that course was part of his on-going palliative treatment. 
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 2, 2020 9:23 am

EdwardTrishSmith‍ , I am so sorry for what you went through with your wife at the end of her life. I did something similar during the last few weeks with my Dad, and it was terrible to watch. So much so, that I refused to allow the word “peacefully” in his obituary.

D1955‍ , I worked with a man who had a similar surgery to your husband, and I remember him carrying a water bottle with him everywhere after he returned to work. He said that this was especially important to have on hand when he was eating.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by LaurieEP on Aug 3, 2020 2:27 pm

My husband has recently been diagnosed with high grade non hodgkin lymphoma.  He is 1/2 way through 6 rounds of R-CHOP and at his last doctors appointment he had gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks. He isn't eating more then he usually does and has been staying fairly active.  Is this common? I have only read about those that lost weight during.

Posted by Nan1 on Aug 8, 2020 8:08 pm

I gained weight during Chemo no matter how much or how little or what I ate.  In total I gained 10 pounds and chemo belly along with it.  At first I was so upset about it but I accepted rather quickly that the extra weight was worth it to fight this disease.  I finished Chemo in February and Radiation was done in April of this year.  I have lost the chemo belly and the 10 pounds.  I did walk during treatment but not nearly as much as I do now.  I just did not have the energy to walk much during treatment but did force myself to go and a least try.
My eating habits have changed quite a bit.  I tend to pay more attention to what I am putting into my body now but do allow myself to indulge once in awhile. 
I am not a red meat lover so tend to stick to chicken, fish and steamed vegetables or salads.
I am going to live my life not live my life in fear and be afraid to live.  I am going to go back to work and I am going to continue to do the things I love doing like taking hikes with my grandson, gardening, and going on holidays with my husband as soon as this covid thing is under control. 
I am very grateful that I advocated for myself when I knew something was wrong and caught this disease very early.  

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 11, 2020 12:15 am

Great topic and discussion.  I'm finding on my Letrozole treatments, I've gained a few pounds.  My appetite is normal and I'm exercising almost daily which does help, but I'm pretty sure the Letrozole has caused the weight gain.  My Chemo Oncologist doesn't seem to think it's causing weight gain, but I think so.