Taxol (Paclitaxel) side effects and pain

Taxol (Paclitaxel) side effects and pain

Posted by Maryana on Jul 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Hello, I am happy to finish my first set of AC treatment. I was hit real bad with it but glad I got through it 😊. 
I started my second set of treatment with Taxol today. I am so drowsy and sleepy (effects of Benadryl and Décadron). I have been told by my oncologist that I will experience a lot of pain within the coming days. She prescribed Lyrica 75 mg two tablets a day. I started taking it yesterday. 
My concern is how debilitating is the pain with Taxol. I know each person is different but I would like to know from people who experienced pain with Taxol about their side effects and how they dealt with them. The hospital pharmacist told me it will be like the pain experienced by someone who has the grippe. I am so anxious waiting for the side effects to appear and that is not good for my mental health. 
Thank you 🌻🌈
Maryana

Re: Taxol (Paclitaxel) side effects and pain

Posted by Hazewind on Jul 28, 2020 10:29 am

I have Lichen Sclerosis and the pain I had was due to 80+ ulcers i had down in my nether regions thru all of the 12 weeks of chemo. That was the worst pain. So by comparison to the paclitaxel muscle and bone aches, the paclitaxel was nothing. The worst was not being able to sit properly else i was rubbing the fucidic ointment off into my clothes. I basically had to stay in bed or stand up all day to keep ointment on my sore parts. Mind you i didnt have 80 sores show up at the same time. It started with 5 to 10 every few days eventually adding up to 80+ by the 2nd week after the very last infusion.  Lichen sclerosis is an autoimmune disease I've  had since i was a child. The chemo affected my body's PH LEVELS.  The difference between my LS  pain and Paclitaxel is the paclitaxel makes feel like you have been hit by a truck. Though my laying in bed trying to not move to keep my ointment in place might have made it feel worse as my muscles were not working out. I took 2 extra strength tylenol every 6 hrs with 1 hydro morphone every 4-6 hours. You can distinctly feel when it was time to top up the pain meds at the 5 hours. Though I slept when i could. My attention span was not more than 20-30 min at a time. I got through it and you will too. Hope this helps. By the way i did not get hooked on Hydromorohone, this was in October of 2018 to March 2019 and i still have about 30 Hydromorphone left in my bottle. It really helped and I  had taken them only when i couldnt deal with the pain. You will get thru this. 

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 28, 2020 11:15 am

Hazewind‍ , What a terrible thing, the pain and not being able to sit.  Glad you got through all that. 

Maryana‍ , My chemo was carbo/taxol.  I had a sort of aching feeling in my bones.  It wasn't too bad and I had been prescribed Tylenol. It was probably a higher dose of Tylenol than what you buy at a drug store. Anyway, that simple prescription really helped. The worst thing about the chemo was when I got to treatment #4, 5 and 6. For five or six days, I was totally exhausted. I'd never been so tired in my life! Perhaps ashcon‍ and frozenstar‍ will talk about their experience with Taxol. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Maryana on Jul 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Hazewind‍  Sorry to hear about your touch experience. I hope all is a bit better now 🌈🌷Thanks a lot for your input about the pain with Paclitaxel.

Elsie13‍ 
Thank you so much for you informative reply. That helped me what to expect 😊🌷

Posted by Maryana on Jul 28, 2020 12:42 pm

Hazewind‍ 
Sorry for the typo: *tough experience not touch experience.

Posted by ashcon on Jul 28, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi Maryana‍ 
As you say, everyone's experience with chemo treatments are different. Personally I didn't experience any pain at all with Taxol, and I hope you may be so lucky.
But I do remember feeling all "jacked up" from the increased dose of steroids taken with Taxol.  Plus having a few rounds of " roid rage" which was so foreign and scary for me, as I am a pretty mellow person. 

(Why did your oncologist say that you will experience pain, like it is a "for sure" thing, when some people have no pain?)

BookLoverGigsy‍ and ERK‍ recently posted about Taxol pain - they may be able offer some advice and wisdom.

How are you feeling today, on this "day after"? 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Maryana on Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm

ashcon‍ 
Thank you for your reply.
It is because I was not so tolerant of the AC set of treatments. It was too much for me. That's why my oncologist warned me about the pain that Taxol causes. She even asked me whether I want to continue the treatment. I was surprised that a professional might ask such a question. I told her that she mentioned that this treatment is the most effective in my situation and I am taking her advice and that I don't want to take a risk by not continuing my treatment. So she prescribed Lyrica to help alleviate pain .. 
Today (the day after) I feel ok except for a bit of fatigue .. I am sure by Thursday, I will experience more symptoms. As I experienced extreme fatigue and weakness during the AC treatment the oncologist adjusted my Taxol dose by reducing it 15 percent. Hopefully that will help.
Thanks again.

Posted by frozenstar on Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm

It was do-able for me. Myalgia in my thighs at times, but I took Advil and was ok. 3 months after chemo I still get mild aches and pains, its like I aged a few years, lol. 
Be gentle, loving, and kind to your self during this time....my prayers are with you.

Posted by Jlo on Jul 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi Maryana:

I took Taxol along with Carboplatin and my pain was manageable.  I was able to take Tylenol throughout the day.  It lasted 2-3 days after chemo.  My symptoms were neuropathy in my hands but I was still able to crochet and my tinnitus was severly heightened.  The neurooathy went away shortly after treatnent, but not the tinnitus.  There was a lot of fatigue with these drugs as well.  .

best
joan

Posted by Gigsy on Jul 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi Maryana. I will be going for my 3rd taxel treatment Fri. The first one brought bone pain which lasted about 3 days, I took tylenol2, but I also think the needles I take for 7 days after chemo to keep your white blood cells up contributed to it. With the 2nd treatment my blood was good so I didnt need the needles and I barely got any bone pain at all. I'm getting more tingling in my fingers but so far not my toes. Take care

Posted by Maryana on Jul 28, 2020 6:47 pm

frozenstar‍ 
Jlo‍ 
Gigsy‍ 

Thank you all for your input about your experience with Taxol. So far I am doing ok. I hope this continues. A little bit of back pain is on the horizon though 🤔

Posted by ashcon on Jul 28, 2020 7:35 pm

Maryana
OH, dear. I'm sorry that AC was tough for you. It sounds like your oncologist is pretty good about adjusting things to make these treatments more tolerable for you. 
I'm like you, I said "bring on all the big guns you can throw at me if it helps to knock out the cancer!" 
Wishing you an easy (or at least tolerable) next few days. 

Gigsy‍ - good luck with #3 on Friday!  
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by ERK on Jul 29, 2020 6:43 am

Mariana,I just finished 4 cycles of taxol (2 well intervals). The third day following was my most sore. Just touching the skin over some of my muscles was really tender. Changing positions I was like an 80 year old. But that was the worst. It got better each time for me and the last one was mostly just tiredness and some mild sensory alteration in my feet that would almost clear completely by the next one.  I hope you'll have very little!! You never know.