Questions to ask post surgery

Questions to ask post surgery

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 24, 2020 4:28 pm

So I finally kicked up enough of a fuss that the surgeon promised to give me a call later today. 
7 weeks post whipple. His office has not yet bothered to call me back re a follow up appointment. I get testy if people don't get back to me for 2 weeks. Especially since the discharge papers said to schedule a follow up in 2 weeks. That's moot, ian is still in hospital with delirium, but they could at least have had the courtesy to call and say they wanted to wait til he is capable to join the discussion....

anyhow, he promised to call. Now what do I want to ask him?

I really want to scream at the surgeon because if he had listened to me / taken me seriously in December, we could have avoided a month of delirium and the chemo and gone straight to surgery. His heart wouldn't be a mess and he would have been in much better shape to deal with all this crap. I shall save it though unless he uses some stupid f. Excuse.
Have you hugged your dog today?

Re: Questions to ask post surgery

Posted by Brighty on Jul 24, 2020 6:08 pm

Laika57‍  I hope you hear from the surgeon.   Let us know.  I can't believe how many patients  are just  falling  through the cracks lately.    It's worse than ever.  Makes you want to scream for sure.. sometimes you have  to scream.   Sooo frustrating.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 24, 2020 7:09 pm

Yes Brighty‍ I sure do want to scream at them.
patient relations was like "he's always good at getting back to me, so I did wonder when he didn't, turns out they changed all our email addresses, and he doesn't check the one I sent it to...."
I'm sorry, but WTF of an excuse is that?

also doesn't explain why his own office never got back to me.
You would think 2 week post surgery follow up appointments would be something they take seriously....

Past 7pm on Friday. Who wants to bet he's still going to call?
anyone?
maybe if I go out for a walk with the dog. That seems to make people want to call me....

Posted by Whitelilies on Jul 25, 2020 9:41 am

Laika57‍ Hello
My humble suggestion is:  (Well.....at first I too would want to scream)......BUT HOW ABOUT:

Send an email to the Surgeon/Surgeon's Office/Main desk.....get this "date of questions etc" on paper.
Perhaps write down, on the email, that you WISH a follow up appt...
Write down all your questions.....
Call office to get the email......OR google Dr...and perhaps their office email is online.....this way YOU have "some control" back....
AND they cannot say "oops we never received your message".

Hope it helps.

Regards
Whitelilies

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 25, 2020 2:31 pm

He did get back to me. Sent an email late at night, because he was pulled into surgery and called me just a few minutes ago. Even went so far as to schedule a follow up appointment in two weeks, when ian should hopefully be back home. (without going through his office staff.)
hi guess he goes into the "good people" category. It's everyone around him that is screwy.