Cancer

Cancer

Posted by Worry 23 on Jul 21, 2020 8:10 pm

I am scared about my chemo

Re: Cancer

Posted by Whitelilies on Jul 22, 2020 9:00 am

Worry 23‍ Hello
Welcome to our caring and supportive site.....so sorry for your reason.
Kindly, if you can.....share a bit more, so we can offer even more support.....Has the chemo started?
Many of this site can soon chime in to offer support and coping techniques....
Sending you strength....

Warmly,

Lillian

Whitelilies

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 22, 2020 9:21 am

Hello Worry 23‍ ,

When do you, or have you already, start chemo?

I know I was scared to death on my way to the cancer clinic for my first chemo on July 31, 2018.  I took a selfie before leaving the house and it's written all over my face.  It turned out that it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.  Our minds will go to all the dark places.  The chemo nurses were fantastic!  It did make me sad though to sit there with so many others all suffering from cancer.

I found the hospitals WiFi to be really bad, so ended up taking my e-reader and spent my time reading.  On occasion I was fortunate enough to have another patient nearby that wanted to chat, this passed the time quickly for both of us.  I recommend you sip on cold water during your chemo to help you stay hydrated.  I also found grapes to be a fabulous snack.

Runner Girl 

Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Essjay on Jul 22, 2020 9:40 am

Worry 23‍ I too can relate, I was scared about chemo and what it would do to my healthy body. There’s no denying it was a shock. I went in super fit and healthy (apart from the tumour which had been removed), and I remember quite clearly when the chemo hit my body. It felt like I’d walked into a marshmallow wall! My eyes felt like someone had stuffed cotton wool behind my eyes, I had a headache and I generally felt like I was having to push through something that was thicker than air. The reassuring things were that there was absolutely no nausea, and my husband was there to help me home. I slept fitfully for a few hours after each chemo, waking in a panic because I knew I was supposed to be drinking. The antiemetics messed with my sleep, my appetite (dexamethasone made me ravenous), and my bowel habits, and each needed management to not drive me crazy. Days 4-10 were the worst days for me and then I’d start feeling more human by day 14 ready to start all over again.

i was afraid of side effects - I was warned about effects on my heart (didn’t happen), rashes (didn’t happen), headaches (yes, terrible headaches), loss of taste (yes, had to modify my diet to cope), joint pain (yes, on taxol), tingling and numbness (yes on taxol)...the nursing staff were awesome. They want to know everything because some physical things we experience are from the chemo, and some might indicate a progression of our disease. They listen, make note, help you manage the worst effects and the oncologist modifies your regime if necessary - I had my taxol does reduced to limit the damage to my fingers and toes.

i had a chemo bag with everything gathered for my session - slippers, snacks, puzzles, phone charger, headphones, mints (help with the taste). I struggled to read through chemo (slept through taxol every time), but podcasts worked well for me, although I did alarm the nursing staff when I was sat there in tears over a Stuart McClean Vinyl Cafe ‘Dave’ story! 

And I counted down. I took a photo each time to post on my Facebook page to show all my friends and family I was doing ok. At this time we don’t go out much, and that’s so important during chemo, so going to the clinic is an event. Make the most of the ‘contact’ with real people, and let the nursing staff care for you. Hot blankets on your legs are really nice especially if you get the restless legs from the antiemetics, let them bring you drinks and snacks if they our available. I remember having the most amazing borscht for lunch at my clinic one day - they only lunch I ever ate I think but it was great. 

Have you thought about hair loss yet and how you will hope? I had hats and buffs, and wrapped my ahead in scarves and it was ok. Losing my eyebrows and eyelashes was harder. But you know, they do come back..

Do you have any specific questions? There’s likely someone here who has had the same chemo you are to have and can tell you about their experience.

Share what you feel able to, and ask all the questions you need to - we are here, in your corner.

best wishes Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jul 22, 2020 10:28 am

Worry 23‍ I too remember I was so scared for my first chemo. It's a good thing someone else was driving as I think I would have kept on driving down the highway and go far away. But it really wasn't that bad. During the treatment I got a little tingly and had a slight headache, they gave me tylenol (I think) then I had the saline (observation part) and my headache went away. Turns out I hadn't had enough fluid in me, so make sure you drink enough water the night before. My problem is when I am nervous I have to pee, so I limit my fluid intake. I took snacks and a puzzle book./pen. Funny, I haven't touched the puzzle book since the end of my treatments. I also had a binder with dividers that I took with me (after the first one) and recorded side effects, questions and fluid/food intake plus bowel movements. The nurses ask the same series of questions after each treatment and I found it easier to write it down so I wouldn't have to remember. I also put calendar pages in it to keep track of appointments, etc.

Posted by JoannaO on Jul 29, 2020 11:30 am

Worry 23‍ ,

I just had my first dose of AC chemo last Friday (I'm scheduled for 4 rounds of AC every 2 weeks and 4 rounds of taxol every 2 weeks). It was exhausting but not as bad as I had imagined. I think for me it felt like a long day because of the cold capping process, I did not have a picc line and I had an MRI for the liver right after chemo. 

On chemo day you have your bloodwork, then you get speak to a nurse (pre chemo assessment), get meds at the pharmacy, then chemo (2 hours for me). Nurse always check up on you and as well as the pharmacist. 

I'm hoping that the coming chemo days will be the same. Crossing my fingers 🤞. 

Posted by Runner Girl on Aug 4, 2020 4:56 pm

Worry 23‍ ,

Just following up, how did your chemo go?  Are you managing ok?

Runner Girl

Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!