Anti-Hormal treatment (Aridimex)

Anti-Hormal treatment (Aridimex)

Posted by SheenaS on Jul 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi everyone, I recently completed chemotherapy and waiting for radiation for Breast Cancer. In the meantime, I will begin an anti-hormonal treatment for 5 years (Aridimex) as I've been post-menauposal for over 10 years due to Ovarian Cancer. 

I wanted to know if anyone has been on this medication and if you've experienced side effects? How long have you been on this med? I'm  hesitant to start. 

Thank you, 
Sheena

Re: Anti-Hormal treatment (Aridimex)

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 20, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi SheenaS‍ ,

Congratulations on completing chemo!!  I think you will find radiation to be a bit easier.  

I am not yet on Arimidex (Anastrozole), but my oncologist wishes to switch me in December.  I've been doing my homework on it and will attach a link to the drug information.  As everyone's body reacts differently not everyone will have the same or similar side effects.  My worst Tamoxifen side effects are pain in my hips, legs and feet - which is now easily managed by a once a month acupuncture session.  

Here is the link: http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/arimidex.aspx

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Hazewind on Jul 21, 2020 11:40 am

Hazewind:
Hello Sheena, I have been on Arimidex for almost  one year. I do have side effects but i think the side effects are mostly from the chemo I had during 2018/2019. I'm also post menopausal for about 10 yrs. In the start of using Arimidex I had lots of hot flashes though I have since reduced stress in my life and find I don't notice them so much. I also have painful joints,  fingers lock up(mostly in the mornings but loosen up by noon)  lots of neuropathy. The more I use my limbs, joints, the easier it gets. For example hand washing dishes in warm water seems to help loosen joints up instead of using my dishwasher. When I  get up, I cannot grip bedding to make bed, but after my shower, fingers are able to grip better. I've also changed my diet and am on Keto since October 2019. Lost 16lbs and need to lose another 60lbs to get to my ideal weight. I've also totally illimnated all forms of sugar from my diet as I  have read that cancer feeds from sugar. I'm not going to provide any chance of cancer returning.  I also was prediabetic in October 2019 and by removing all forms of sugar, replacing it with Stevia and Lakanto monkfruit/erythritol, I was tested in March 2020 and am no longer prediabetic. I also have much more pain in legs, feet arms, hips, muscles and joints i thought was due to chemotherapy but I also think its from arimidex. I won't stop taking it though. My fear of cancer returning is much worse then tolerating pain. I also have insomnia. Though I've had that long prior to cancer and treatments. My coughing is always bad and I have had treatments for asthma so I cannot blame the arimidex for that either. 

Posted by supersu on Jul 22, 2020 7:19 am

SheenaS‍ 

re: arimidex
THANK YOU for the inquiry & congrats on the completion of chemo....I LOVE this forum where we can bounce thing around with each other

my experience: took my first pill on Monday -- exactly 24 hours later!!! (seriously), I can barely life my arms...didnt put 2 & 2 together at first, but I'm pretty sure this is the 'joint pain' and 'muscle weakness' they talk about!

I have a tele consult today with my doc, will see what they say about it.

I was leery to start also, but I want to get back to work as soon as I can, so thought to myself, I'd better add this so I know I can handle day to day activities.....boy, am I glad I did.  I'm weak as a kitten and def could not work in this condition!

crossing my fingers & toes this is a temp thing

cheers

Posted by SheenaS on Jul 24, 2020 10:11 pm

Thank you so very much for the link. and for your inputs. Much appreciated. 

Posted by frozenstar on Aug 5, 2020 3:34 pm

I get muscle pain in my legs, knuckle pain in fingers...intense fiery hot flashes..uuugh, but it doesn't matter, I'll get used to it, its only 7-10 years, lol

Posted by Runner Girl on Aug 5, 2020 7:34 pm

frozenstar‍ ,

I have found relief from my tamoxifen body pain and hot flashes with a monthly acupuncture session. I am hopeful it will also work for me when I am switched to Arimidex in December. 

Runner Girl 
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by MedieaVal on Aug 6, 2020 9:31 am

Hi SheenaS‍ .  I've been on analytically for 3 years. The first few months were awful: severe joint pain, stiffness and hot flashes mostly. I tried switching to tamoxifen but I became depressed and felt suicidal so went back to anastomosis. After a few months (3 or 4?) I adjusted. I found that the more I moved, the less I hurt. I've always loved walking so that was what I did and it really helped. These days I hardly notice it except for the severe stiffness after I've been sitting for awhile. When I first get up I feel like Rusty the Tin Man after being left out in the rain, lol. These drugs can also deplete our bones so walking is good for that. I also do body-weight exercises. Give this drug a try. If it doesn't work for you they can try a different one. Mainly, it took me close to 6 months to settle into it.