Hair loss post chemo...eyelashes and eyebrows

Hair loss post chemo...eyelashes and eyebrows

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 7, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi everyone!  Just when I was starting to feel ok and hair is growing back slowly, after 5 weeks post Paclitaxel, I start losing my eyebrows and eyelashes!! They were fine during chemo! I have been more emotional and doesn't take anything sometimes for tears to flow. That is getting better though!! But this latest hair loss isn't helping and I'm overwhelmed once again!! I called the chemo clinic and the nurse says it's very rare but could be delayed effect from chemo plus the emotional stress I'm having...thoughts or experiences?

Re: Hair loss post chemo...eyelashes and eyebrows

Posted by ashcon on Jul 7, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi orchid*lover*‍ 
Glad you are starting to feel OK again.   I, too, managed to hang onto my eyelashes through chemo and thought "whew", until they too fell out about 6 weeks after I finished paclitaxel.  I've heard so many others on this site say the same thing, which makes me think it's not that unusual!
Take heart that you've come this far, and they WILL grow back in as well!
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 7, 2020 2:00 pm

orchid*lover*‍ 

Awwww.. I'm sorry to hear! Just when you thought you would be holding on to them. I'm glad you talked to the nurse and posted here so you could see you're not alone. ashcon‍ now has a beautiful set of lashes, eyebrows, and hair! You will get there too!

Have you heard of the Look Good Feel Better Program? They talk about ways to draw your eyebrows, skin care, nail care, and how to do your make up during treatment. Last I heard they are still doing virtual workshops. You can find out more here: https://lgfb.ca/en/.

I hope you continue to feel better each day!

Lacey

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 7, 2020 7:35 pm

Oh ok!! Thank you ashcon and Lacey! Whew I was seriously starting to think something was really wrong lol!! You both have made me feel so much at ease!! 
BTW, how do I tag you in this thread?

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 7, 2020 7:42 pm

orchid*lover*

Glad you're feeling better 😊👍

To tag its the @ symbol and the person's username. You then select the name you want from the list. 

Take care 
Lacey

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 7, 2020 7:57 pm

@ ashcon, Lacey 
Ok I’ve tried the tagging and it looks
like the list is starting then disappears! 
Thank you thank you! The Kelowna cancer clinic isn’t doing the clinics for Look good Feel good but I did sign up for virtual one on makeup!! I had heard of this but assumed wouldn’t be on because of COVID...again, my GP didn’t call me back and the chemo nurse made it sound like it was a very unusual effect this long after Paclitaxel is completed. Glad to know it’ll be fine!😁

Posted by Mrow on Jul 8, 2020 3:33 pm

Hello, 
orchid*lover*‍ 
My eyebrows survived until the end and then became patchy as they fell out. They haven't started to come back yet although my hair is beginning to return.
 I am 2 months post chemo. 
Mary

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 8, 2020 4:05 pm

orchid*lover*

The list should start appearing after you type the first three letters. You can type the whole username and select from the list. 

Give it another try! 

Lacey

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 9, 2020 12:51 pm

Mary‍ Thank you, yes was so shocked to have this happen especially because my hair was coming in and during Paclitaxel I didn’t lose eyelashes or brows...they haven’t completely come out but almost..I’m hoping they will prior to me going back to work in September!
thank you Lacey_adminCCS‍ i was putting a space after the @ symbol! 

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jul 9, 2020 7:28 pm

orchid*lover*‍ I did lose my hair during chemo but I am now finished since September. Hair started growing back and then the hair salon's were closed because of Covid-19. Now I had my first hair cut and it appears that a rare side-effect from a drug that I am still taking "Letrozole" is hair loss. It's not the same as chemo hair loss but it seems more then usual. So I am still losing hair in a few areas. My left side eyebrow and eyelashes I lost more during chemo then my right. My eyebrow still hasn't fully grown back. I have been trying a few different shampoo's in hopes they will help. Thankfully, it's not noticeable yet. 

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 12, 2020 2:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, Buffythevampire‍ , I am actually surprised in the last couple of days that I am seeing some hair growth already on my brows and eyelids! Quite amazing, I am relieved 😁..I normally have rapid hair growth. So i guess the lashes and brows were ready to fall out and just took some time after I was finished the Paclitaxel. I'm only having Herceptin every 3 weeks, no other meds. I went to Shopper's cosmetics the other day and the woman there was fabulous showing me how to place the brow makeup and eyeliner, that was when I realized I had hair coming in because the light was so bright there!! I am also signed up for LookGood, FeelGood virtual workshop this coming week, the woman at Shopper's said they are wonderful!! 😁

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jul 12, 2020 5:25 pm

orchid*lover*‍ I went to the "look good, feel better" workshop too. I was able to go before my chemo and I quite enjoyed it plus I learned from it too. I am not a makeup wearer and the eyebrows were my concern. I found a lady at Shopper's Drug Mart the most helpful too.

Posted by 2Awesomekids on Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am

Hello orchid*lover*‍ 
    I too am finished chemo.  I am also losing my eye brows, lashes and what little bit of hair chemo didn't take. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!  I know they will grow back but it's frustrating, this on top of my lung and heart problems from my paclitaxel treatment.  I guess time will tell.  All the best to everyone during this rough time.  <3 <3

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 15, 2020 11:33 am

2Awesomekids‍ Oh gosh, you too with brows and lashes!! I don't understand how the chemo nurse at my clinic could think it was so rare to happen after the Paclitaxel tx, so many people I've talked to this has happened to!! And my GP had never heard of it post chemo.  You had heart issues from this drug too? I know with the Herceptin I have to have heart test every 3-4 mos because it can cause heart damage too.  So far so good!! And I'm so relieved my lashes and brows are coming in...I look like I have 5 o clock shadow on the brows! Hopefully this will be the case with you soon too!  I have the Look Good, Feel Good workshop today for some makeup tips. Stay in touch with how you're doing please! 

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 15, 2020 2:03 pm

Ladies,

I too lost my eyelashes and eyebrows after chemo!  Was as surprised as all of you are.  I used castor oil to encourage my eyebrows to return.  Had to resort to buying an eyebrow template and eyebrow pencil to draw them on every day so I could go to work without looking like an emoji.  Using an eyeliner can distract from the fact that you don't have any eyelashes.  

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by JustJan on Jul 16, 2020 8:48 am

orchid*lover*‍ My eyelashes and eyebrows fell out right at the end of chemo. I did find that my eyebrows grew back very quickly. It seemed that one day all of a sudden they were back. Eyelashes came back pretty quickly as well but took a little bit of time to get their length back. Hang in there. 
Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers

Posted by orchid*lover* on Jul 18, 2020 9:17 pm

JustJan‍ thanks for your kind words, yes I can’t believe how quickly my eyebrows are coming in! Eyes lashes are too but not so noticeable yet!

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 31, 2020 12:27 pm

I’m 2.5 weeks after first chemo doxorubicin and I have started to lose my hair. Coming out in clumps. My scalp hurts. This normal? Still have eyebrows but doc says it’s hair to toes hair loss on this drug and I started losing early. Going be bald soon.

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Hello Boby1511‍ ,

Yes, your scalp will hurt when your hair is falling out.  A good way to avoid is to go have your head shaved.  And yes, you will loose all of your hair, even the hair in your nose!  I was not prepared for that one!  You'll need to keep a kleenex handy all the time.  One's nose hair does a great job of keeping things in your nose, when it's gone as soon as you bend over - oops!

I was advised I would loose my hair 14 days after chemo, at 12 days I had my head shaved.  On day 14 all the little bits that were left fell out.  Nice that they have it down to a science - not really.

Do you have a collection of head coverings to wear?

Runner Girl

Posted by Boby1511 on Jul 31, 2020 5:01 pm

Thank you runner girl (haven’t figured out the tag yet). I’m not ready to shave head. Although scalp hurts. Hadn’t thought about the nose yet but I guess it’s coming.

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 31, 2020 6:31 pm

Boby1511‍ ,

Tagging is simple.  Type the @ symbol then immediately after type in the user name, a blue box will show up with all of the options, choose the one you want.

Runner Girl

Posted by Hazewind on Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm

I first read all the information I  was provided by the cancer/oncology team. Then one week prior to my first of four doxorubicin infusions I had my 18" length of hair shaved off to 1/4". I did not want to wake up with clumps of hair falling out like on the scary movies we watch. I also did not want hair to plug my shower/ tub drain. 🤣  I also bought 3 wigs and a dozen different coloured pashmina scarfs. I also picked up a sticky roller from the dollar store and had my husband roll it over my scalp before bed and after my showers in the morning.  We were amazed how much hair came off my head.  Laying a fresh towel on my pillowcase at night was also helpful to reduce the mess.  My chemo was during Oct 2018-March 2019. After doxorubicin  I had 4 paclitaxel infusions all about 2 weeks apart though i had some health delays in between. I found out how drafty my house was. 🤣so i wore a hoody inside to stop the draft on the back of my head. I only wore one of the wigs as I had a wedding to go to in November.  The wigs I found were very hot and sweaty to wear.  Mostly I wore scarves as they were more comfortable. By the way, i kept the used sheets of sticky roller with my remived loose hair bits to compare from day to day till i had gone mostly totally bald. Just used as a reference from one day to the next. Later after going all bald threw them out. 
I did have a small infection on my eyelids like a stye from the loss of eyelashes and had to get an optimalic  eye ointment with antibiotic to help clear it up. Also inside my nose, and other areas due to my Autoimmune disease .  
I hope any tips i share helps. 

Posted by County Girl on Aug 2, 2020 8:11 am

I am 17 days after 1st chemo (FEC D).  My hair has started to fall out. I had it cut really short a few days ago so it will be easier to shave off when I’m ready. I have really thick hair and it could take awhile before it all falls out. My scalp is really tender and sore in the mornings.  If I shave all my hair off will it stop the scalp  soreness?  I am ready with a wig and head coverings, I’m not sure if I’m emotionally or mentally prepared yet. 

Posted by orchid*lover* on Aug 2, 2020 1:20 pm

County Girl‍ Hello!! I am post Paclitaxel 2 months, having trastuzamab every 3 weeks as target therapy..started radiation therapy last week.I starting losing my hair 3 weeks into chemo and yes I had sore scalp pretty much the whole 12 weeks. I ended up with like acne, and a rash which I had a steroid gel that I used when bad enough, I have mild skin psoriasis...I didn’t completely lose my hair but most of it. A girl i met in chemotherapy had a similar thing and her doctor gave her some kind of cream she thinks was a steroid. Fingers crossed you just have the scalp discomfort. I ended up with losing eyebrows and eyelashes 5 weeks post chemo so be prepared that can happen, no one told me that and I was in shock as I was post chemo!!...but they only took about 2 weeks and now they are almost completely back!! My head hair is coming in thick and fast too!! I found the wigs were great when I went out but around the house I just bought cotton bandanas at the dollar store...I hope you have a great support network!! Best to you ❤️

Posted by Jomilks on Aug 3, 2020 8:40 am

I started loosing my hair two weeks after my first chemo treatment (I had four TC infusions), so shaved my head as my scalp was so sore.  I did get some hair growth while on chemo but it was clear stubble. No actual colour at all!  So weird, and it was so patchy. About 8 weeks post chemo, the stubble started to fall out and approximately a week later, finally, finally, finally, my hair started to grow back in. Five to six weeks post chemo, I lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. Super depressing time - totally hairless except the bits of clear stubble on my head. Now it’s six months since my last chemo and I have eyelashes, very little in the way of eyebrows, but my hair is a crazy mix of waves on the back of my head, curls on the sides and a  gravity defying bouffant thing going on the top. So hilarious. I am going to schedule sone time with my hairdresser to help me figure this mess out.   I am also considering microdermabrasion for the eyebrows so I don’t have to draw them on all the time, and worry if I accidentally wipe on of them off by accident. It’s happened and it’s not a good look!  Haha