Bruising

Bruising

Posted by vic777 on Jun 25, 2020 3:14 pm

Hello All,

About 2 months ago I had 6 weeks of chemo and radiation  combined.  Then around 3 weeks ago I had another couple of intensive radiation treatments on two small tumours on my back.  Recently I've noticed that when I bang myself anywhere (don't notice it at the time) anytime, when I get up the next day the area has either gotten blood red close to the surface or has a small bruise.  Has anyone else noticed anything like that on themselves or the patient they are helping??  Thanks Ruth

Re: Bruising

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Hello vic777‍ ,

In the months after my chemo treatments I felt like a peach.  Any little bump left me with a nasty bruise.  Here is an explanation:

Some cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy and targeted therapy, can increase your risk of bleeding and bruising. These treatments can lower the number of platelets in the blood. Platelets are the cells that help your blood to clot and stop bleeding. When your platelet count is low, you may bruise or bleed a lot or very easily and have tiny purple or red spots on your skin. This condition is called thrombocytopenia. It is important to tell your doctor or nurse if you notice any of these changes.

I hope you find this helpful.

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by vic777 on Jun 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Thank you Runner Girl, thats was an excellent explanation.  I did seem to vaguely remember my partner having the same problem when she underwent treatment but wasn't a 100% sure if my memory was correct.  I do have blood work and a CT scan coming up in the next couple of weeks and then a follow-up appointment with my oncologist.  I will certainly be sure to tell him.  Do you remember how long it was before your platelets returned to normal or at least if and when you remember you didn't bruise as easily?  

I haven't felt that my overall treatment has been all that great, I haven't seen the oncologist since he first diagnosed me in early January.  I don't know whether to blame COVID or the actual doctor but either way things have not gone very smoothly.  As an example, I had two biopsies and the first one I was told they didn't get enough tissue and with the second I didn't find out until 6-8 weeks later that they hit a blood clot.  (no doubt caused by going back in too quickly)  And when I did find out that the 2nd biopsy didn't get my biomarkers, I was very upset to think that the oncologist still pushed me ahead to start treatment without and consultation or discussion with me.

Anyway, again thanks for your very clear information on the bruising Runner Girl, I just knew it was not normal for me to bruise like that, kudos to my mother who taught me to always remember that I know my body best!!

Thanks Ruth

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi vic777‍ ,

Ruth, I'm glad that explanation has set your mind at ease about the bruising.  Definitely mention it to your doctor and perhaps, from your blood work, they can give you an indication as to where you are and perhaps some tips on how you might be able to improve things.  

I think it was a good year before I was able to bruise "normally".  But again, every body is different and my timeline won't necessarily apply to you or anyone else.

It sounds like you need a good, honest conversation with your oncologist.  Maybe make a list of questions that you'd like answers to for your next meeting and use that as the basis of the conversation.  I did that with my oncologist, honestly getting information out of him was like pulling teeth.  He's great at what he does, but his people skills are a little lacking.

Gayle - Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!