Washing clothes during chemo

Washing clothes during chemo

Posted by VioletFlower on Jun 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Why do they recommend  washing clothes twice? Is it possible for the person to get a second dose from clothes only washed once? 

Re: Washing clothes during chemo

Posted by ashcon on Jun 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi VioletFlower‍   Good question, and it almost stumped me as I don't recall hearing this recommendation while I was doing chemo.  Flushing the toilet twice,yes, but washing clothes twice? No.
Then I remembered.... Yes, this would apply! Typically when the clothes get soiled (e.g. vomit, urine, feces).   More information can be found here:
https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/48/58117?post_id=265581

Is your son able take care of these things on his own?  I hope he is doing well this week.
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by VioletFlower on Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Thank you, ashcon‍ .  Here is the handout below and it includes sweat as a body fluid.

My son is not able to wash dishes or do laundry and hygiene is like pulling teeth. I can manage to get him in the shower once a week but it’s a struggle. He is doing well with washing hands but never brushes teeth etc. I did get him to change his clothes everyday for the five days of chemo. I clean his apt. He is not able to do it himself. I now have him using disposable dishes because anything else does not work. 

Yesterday was his first one day a week (30 mt) chemo. Last night he had a sore throat but it was better this morning and aft. He is feeling a little anxious which is not the norm for him so these are the only side effects so far. He has his skull MRI tomorrow .  One more short chemo day next week then we start the 5 day week Again the week after.

Hope you are enjoying the summer weather.
74af7d472354a990aa2f750f95b98454-huge-af

Posted by ashcon on Jun 24, 2020 7:14 pm

VioletFlower‍ Hmmmm, very interesting.  I guess the inclusion of sweat as a bodily fluid makes sense. 
I didn't go that far when I was doing chemo. Maybe the type of chemo makes a difference? 

Perhaps this approach does make sense with your son if he is not as regularly diligent with personal hygiene as he could be.  But this would be another strenuous task to add to the already strained task list of getting through this ordeal. 

I have been reading your posts from afar and really appreciate all that you are sharing.  I know it is helping others. 
Well wishes for MRI tomorrow and for next rounds of chemo!

---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by VioletFlower on Jun 24, 2020 8:14 pm

Thank you, ashcon‍ !  I think you may be right about the kind of chemo. 

I do the best I can and am still working on choosing my battles and letting go of things....it’s not easy. 

I’m the only one he will let help him but was getting him at a point to allow others to help him clean but then covid-19 Interrupted that. So that is something to look forward too for me.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Hugs