Herceptin

Herceptin

Posted by Jaker204 on Jun 21, 2020 11:50 pm

Hey all! About to start solo Herceptin, little nervous as just starting to slowly come around from last chemo. What side effects can I expect or prepare for? Not sure why but more nervous for this than I was for chemo, maybe because I know what chemo can feel like and really really don’t want to be knocked back, time to move forward! Thank you and hope everyone is doing well!

Re: Herceptin

Posted by Travellerlisa on Jun 22, 2020 7:25 am

Jaker204‍ I still have 3 chemo + Herceptin treatments left but they tell me that the Herceptin alone has very minimal side effects compared to the chemo. Looking forward to the chemo being over!

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 22, 2020 7:32 am

Jaker204‍ , Travellerlisa‍ ,

I found that there were no side effects with having Herceptin alone after chemo.  I drove myself to the cancer clinic, had my Herceptin treatment and drove home, no ill effects. I suspect you will find the same.  

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Travellerlisa on Jun 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Runner Girl‍ Sounds good! Chemo is no fun! 

Posted by darla49 on Jun 23, 2020 9:33 am

Hi Jaker204, I have had 7 herceptin treatments so far and compared to the chemo (docetaxel and cyclophosphamide, there have been mild hot flashes and sporadic muscle pain which is managed.  My oncologist said it would be a piece of cake and it is!  Darla

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jun 23, 2020 9:54 am

Travellerlisa‍ I had 6 herceptin with my chemo and 11 herceptin only treatments. Herceptin is easy, peasy!! 

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 23, 2020 11:39 am

Jaker204‍  Congrats on getting this far!!!  Having Herceptin alone was much easier, even though i had some residual side effects from chemo.  It was strange to return to the chemo unit, sit in my favourite chair and be out in less than a half hour!  Brought back many memories.

I did have some side effects from chemo and radiation, which affected my Herceptin treatments.  I spoke to my oncologist about it and she was able to delay Herceptin treatment for another week or two - without hindering the treatment.  So definitely let your oncologist know if you have any issues.  Like the others have said - it is almost a relief to do this treatment!

Let us know how it goes - solo!  Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Jaker204 on Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks everyone for the info! Just getting ready to go in for solo Herceptin & will let you know how it goes. Looking forward to getting back to me!
Also have my first radiation consultation this afternoon so big day! Ready to move forward to getting back to myself!

Posted by Mammabear on Jun 24, 2020 10:49 am

Like the others, Herceptin alone is easy peasy. Drove myself. In and out in 45 min. I am now on Herceptin and Pertuzumab for life every 3 weeks to keep stage 4 in check. Still no issues. drive myself. am a little tired after treatment or the next day but NOT like the fatigue during Taxol. You are on the home stretch of treatment, congratulations! 

Posted by Jaker204 on Jun 29, 2020 1:48 am

Hey everyone! So 1st solo Herceptin was on the 26th and so far have been feeling pretty good. Still dealing with the weak achy muscles left over from chemo but seems to be a better everyday. Radiation appointment and mapping went well. I will be having 16 fractions + 4 boosters to tumor bed... so July is booked!
Any advice for skin issues? Radiologist gave me a list of creams & lotions that they allow as well as was told I could use deodorant as they would not be doing anything in my arm pit!! (Was a silly concern of mine) 
Thanks so much everyone!

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 29, 2020 8:07 am

Jaker204‍ 

Congratulations on the first solo Herceptin.   

My recommendation is get the cream, not the lotion and start using it now.  This will get your skin in good condition and well hydrated.  I did this and while my skin reddened it did not break or blister.

Runner Girl 
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 30, 2020 9:15 am

Jaker204‍  Runner Girl‍  gave some great advice.  I started early and just kept lathering on the Glaxo Base.  Did they give you any suggestions at your radiation appt?

I had a small tub of cream in my purse, that i applied immediately after radiation.  I also recommend loose, natural fibres shirts - like cotton - so there is no rubbing on the skin / area being radiated.

Thanks for the update - well done !!  Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom