Immunotherapy

Immunotherapy

Posted by Tami on Jun 21, 2020 12:37 pm

I was just wondering if there has been anyone 85 + that received immunotherapy for non small cell lung cancer? Side effects? 

Re: Immunotherapy

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jun 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Tami‍ 

A few months ago Tomcat2‍  tagged me and asked about immunotherapy clinical trials I don't know his age except over 70...

There are a few other older folks who have recently joined the site Identifying as having lung cancer. SWO‍ , Delly‍ , Missytigger‍ . I don't know if they have experience with immunotherapy though.

And then there are our caregivers Cynthia Mac‍ whose father has been on Keytruda until recently and jorola‍ who has a range of experience from participation on other forums.

There is a whole thread on immunotherapy over here that may be useful. https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/48/65421?post_id=322381#p322381

I am only 62 but I was on durvalumab for 9 months. I had some fatigue and lost production of thyroid hormone but otherwise the side effects were minimal.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by jorola on Jun 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello Tami‍ 
I have been active of 3 different cancer forums. It is not often to see someone on immunotherapy after the age of 85 mostly because if they have other medical conditions such as autoimmune disease -- like lupus, thyroiditis, Crohn’s disease, or rheumatoid arthritis it may not be safe for them. However, the final call of course is with the person's doctor and treatment team. The person should ask if they have the right type of cancer that can be treated by immunotherapy, their medical history and then discuss if immunotherapy is viable option.
Live, Laugh, Love

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jun 21, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi, Tami‍ ,  My dad started on pembroluzimab (Keytruda) months before his 80th birthday. He has responded well to his treatments, and that response has given me the gift of having him almost another year. My Dad’s is a rare form of NSCLC, so no one knew how it would work for him, but it worked well. The accompanying chemo (pemetrexed) was hard, but he tolerated it fairly well.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by JenG on Jun 22, 2020 9:03 am

Hi Tami‍,

My mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 nsclc in 2018 at the age of almost 91 (her birthday was a month later). She was given a course of immunotherapy once every three weeks. It worked out well For her for a year before the tumour started growing again. Now she is on a low-dose Chemo, once weekly for two weeks then a week off. 

Side effects for her included a short stint of very improved eyesight ( a week), change of taste, and night sweats. 

On the light chemo, she has some mouth sores and a thinning of the hair, but she has been taking Biotin and that is bringing it back. 

I would recommend trying whatever the oncologist suggests. 

Take care,
Jen

Posted by christines on Jun 22, 2020 4:49 pm

hi i   am chris  woman and 73 i started on immune therapy 3 years ago it was great for a while but when you read the list of side effects i have had at least 5 of them and not t pretty ether it did not help either when they put me prednisone to help get rid of the blood bruise like rash i got all on my arms and spots on my face. both were side effects of therapy and prednisone which made for a double cocktail you would have though the doctors would have none that it just made it worse .. i see where people have have no side effects and i think thats great so hopefully your mother will be one. 

Posted by Tami on Jun 24, 2020 12:13 pm

JenG:
Hi Tami‍,

My mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 nsclc in 2018 at the age of almost 91 (her birthday was a month later). She was given a course of immunotherapy once every three weeks. It worked out well For her for a year before the tumour started growing again. Now she is on a low-dose Chemo, once weekly for two weeks then a week off. 

Side effects for her included a short stint of very improved eyesight ( a week), change of taste, and night sweats. 

On the light chemo, she has some mouth sores and a thinning of the hair, but she has been taking Biotin and that is bringing it back. 

I would recommend trying whatever the oncologist suggests. 

Take care,
Jen