Well, they got me. Radiation

Well, they got me. Radiation

Posted by KerriKerri on Jun 4, 2020 4:43 pm

After considerable agonizing, I’m going for the 5 radiations. Thing is, I see the logic. It’s 5 treatments, all in one week, not 15 treatments or 6 months worth. I can understand the logic of trying to get loose cancer cells, kind of like those little rootlets that linger after you pull the weeds out. And it was a 3 cm lump. 2 cm is the optimum for going without this treatment.
The percentage here is 25% chance of recurrence without, 5% with treatment. This brings recurrence chance down to this 5% and 10% for the other.
Getting drivers was a problem. Cab was 1900+ for 6 round trips. Senior support was 450 approx. Even my paid ride would have been 250+ but she is back to work part time. People are starting to get scared of covid around here, we’ve just had a serious cluster outbreak nearby.
I tried a sign downstairs and a FB plea. No response.
The whole thing was becoming a nightmare. Especially since I would rather not anyway.
Last time I talked to one of the doctors, he mentioned that there was something in place for the out of town people during covid. Could he “call the Social Worker and ask for me?” Today the Juravinski Social Worker called. “What if they can get me up there N/C.?”
I warned her I might kick and scream a bit as I come in the door.
Well, this is just one that they’ve won.

Re: Well, they got me. Radiation

Posted by happyhiker1 on Jun 5, 2020 1:10 pm

Good for you, KerriKerri, making the decison is really hard, but like you, I just had to trust the stats the Dr gave me, that rad goes a long way to preventing reoccurrences.
My Dr had mentioned the 5 session option but only the 15 was available to me, maybe since my bc  (2cm) was 'multifocal' and with nerve involvement I didn't qualify.
The side effect I thought I was experiencing from the rad (scratchy throat, irritation)  I think now, after consulting Dr. Google (!), is probably 'silent reflux' due to lying down and holding breath every day 15 times, shortly after my breakfast and coffee...they should advise people to avoid eating a couple hrs before the procedure !
Keep us posted!

Posted by Essjay on Jun 5, 2020 1:44 pm

KerriKerri‍ glad it looks like its going to work out :)
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 5, 2020 1:59 pm

KerriKerri‍ 

I am happy to hear that you have your transportation sorted out. But mostly I am happy that you came to a decision that works for you after your own research and careful measuring of pros and cons.

Look forward to your updates

Lianne

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 5, 2020 8:10 pm

KerriKerri‍ Well done!!  You asked your questions, did your research, and came up with a decision that you can live with....Thank you for letting us know.  Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Whitelilies on Jun 6, 2020 10:01 am

KerriKerri‍ Hello
I hope transportation concerns will work out! I hope the social worker has more supports up her sleeve!
I hope my sharing this will help you......I TOO had "only" 5 sessions of Radiation (Colon).....Monday to Friday......
My tumour was 3 cm.
It was manageable.
For my "location".....it was full bladder! (not that manageable...!)
Make the decision for you......stay strong.
Warmly
Lillian

Whitelilies

Posted by law on Jun 6, 2020 4:55 pm

KerriKerri‍ 
Good for you making a decision.....and your transportation worked out too....it's already good signs
In a short while from now---and, after your first followup checkup---you will be relieved, proud of yourself, and even less stressed..
Give yourself a special and deserved reward.
Keep up the good fight!!
law

Posted by KerriKerri on Jun 10, 2020 10:29 am

Yesterday we started the appointments to get radiation started and then the Doc says, "If your breast is large we may have to go to 15 treatments."

Lied to is how I feel.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jun 11, 2020 10:16 am

Had this doctor not see the size of your breast before? Gee.

While you feel you’ve been “lied to,” I encourage you to turn that thought around to an acknowledgement that “the girl” (you AND the breast) deserves the assurance that they’re going after it all.  And, as has been pointed out in other discussions today, if the treatments prove to be too much, you can stop them.

Sending you positive vibes,
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by KerriKerri on Jun 12, 2020 9:57 am

Actually, I haven't been 'seen' by anyone. It's all by telephone. Once I left the hospital, I did my own post surgery care. I saw the surgeon  3 weeks after surgery; her nurse 'looked' at the surgery site. That's it.
Thank covid.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 17, 2020 1:52 pm

KerriKerri‍ 
I am sorry they have "possibly" moved the goal post on you.  It would seem had you been able to be seen by someone, these discussions would have happened then but I would think even without ,it would have been best to know that was a possibility.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you they don't increase the number. I did 28 rad appointments myself with 3 being with a booster. But I did know that going in for sure.

Keep us posted
Lianne

Posted by KerriKerri on Jun 17, 2020 2:15 pm

I have asked the hospital's Social Worker to come in with me; balance the scale a bit.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 17, 2020 7:21 pm

KerriKerri‍ 

Glad you will have the social worker with you.
Keep us posted

Lianne

Posted by KerriKerri on Jun 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Guess this is where I should have posted.
The agreement is 3 sessions booked with possible/probable 2 more; set up today complete with Tattoos
No hormone treatments.
Meeting me was the key; I was way more informed than they expected, I think, and I am not militant or anything, just calm and reasoning. I think that turned the tide. I am willing to do follow up, etc, just not to have the overwhelming side effects. 
They now also understand when I say I already deal with on a day to day basis, many of what will be side effects of the treatments. 
I have been practicing putting my arm up into position for the last couple of weeks (that surprized them) so that was no problem.
The technicians were great.
I am really glad the SW came though. She appreciates my humour. The men weren't so sure.
So I am calm about it all.

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 23, 2020 11:19 pm

KerriKerri‍ Great to hear from you.  Are these your first tattoos?lol.... I still have my 4 dots from my radiation tattoos - keep wondering if there is a way to connect the dots and make something cool out of them....lol...

Good for you to be informed, be you and bring the SW.  It is so important that our medical team understand what is important to us - what are our limits and what is important for a "good life" for us.  For me, i told them that living a long life is not the goal, living a life well lived was - however long that may be.

Thank you for your update.  Let us know how your radiation appts go!  Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Samiam on Jun 24, 2020 7:59 am

KerriKerri‍ , you doing what's best for you, aligning allies and resources, preparing and arming your self with knowledge. You are a doing amazing. 
all the very best with treatments and travelling. Stay safe. 

Posted by Zoey2020 on Jun 24, 2020 12:06 pm

KerriKerri‍ 

i had the same response from my oncologist.  He was talking 5 treatments until he realized my breast were large.  Now I’m doing 20, followed by boosters.  All over 5 weeks.   The hospital is 1.2 hours away and they offer “ for free” boarding and meals for the entire time at an outside facility.  You may want to check if this is offered in your location.
good luck with your treatments