COVID-19 and cancer treatment

Launched June 1, 2020

Presenters:

Rebecca Ann C. Auer MD, MSc, FRCSC

Christopher Bredeson MD MSc FRCPC

Paul Wheatly-Price BSc, MBChB, FRCP (UK), MD

Jean-Marc Bourque MD, MScPH, FRCPC

76e679bfd679e0c1a620a0333fdabe0c-huge-we

Webinar overview: In this webinar, a panel of expert doctors answer common questions about the impact of COVID-19 on cancer treatment across Canada. For example, what is the status of clinical trials? When can loved ones accompany someone receiving treatment? And how will the healthcare system help if someone receiving treatment contracts COVID- 19?

Webinar Length: 45 Minutes

Watch now

Re: New Webinar:COVID-19 and cancer treatment

Posted by ashcon on Jun 2, 2020 10:27 am

These webinars are well-informed, well-presented and credibly transparent in the information being shared. 
Thank you, CCS, for making these available and for getting input from medical professionals that come from various areas of specialty and from various provinces!
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jun 2, 2020 10:52 am

Well worth watching!  45 minutes is a huge time commitment but I found I could listen and only needed to glance at the screen from time to time. Great information presented in a clear and concise manner.  It certainly demystifies all the reasons behind medical decisions at this scary time.

Please watch!
frozenstar‍  SamiamReid‍ 
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 5, 2020 10:43 am

Don't miss it! 

Who has watched this?

Posted by Elsie13 on Jun 6, 2020 11:17 pm

I watched it today, Lacey_adminCCS‍  .  There was a lot of very good information given by those 4 doctors.  Perhaps it was a bit too long for me.  Would dividing it into 2 videos have worked, part One and part Two? 

There was some  explanation of what happens when cancer surgery is delayed.  Well, the patient and the health care workers are more exposed to the virus during surgery and there can be shortages of PPE, so sometimes chemo and/or radiation can be done first, and surgery will be at a later date. It's all very logical, but if I was one of those patients, I still think I would be terrified.

They mentioned immunotherapy, C cells and carT cells I think, and I realized I know nothing about how this therapy works. Perhaps I will do a little research.  

The section about clinical trials, they explained that some drug trials could go ahead during the pandemic, if the doctor states that the trial drug is the best option for those patients. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Elsie13 on Jun 7, 2020 4:25 pm

One of the four doctors mentioned the situation in Montreal.  In case anyone was wondering about that:

"Three months into the COVID-19 pandemic, Quebec is facing an unprecedented crisis in cancer care, with thousands of people walking around with malignancies that have gone undiagnosed and a potential backlog of about 24,000 oncology surgeries can no longer be delayed, experts in the field warn.

The crisis is all the more pressing because coronavirus outbreaks are still occurring sporadically in Montreal hospitals where most of the cancer surgeries take place, putting patients at added risk of infection."         https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/analysis-quebec-is-facing-a-disaster-in-cancer-care-experts-warn  

In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jun 17, 2020 6:26 pm

MommyT‍ 

Thought you might find this helpful

Lianne