Thick saliva during radiation

Thick saliva during radiation

Posted by Walk2Buffy on Feb 15, 2020 4:02 pm

I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions or recommendations on how to get rid of thick saliva during radiation?  I am just over two weeks into the therapy and my saiiva is really thick and mucussy.  I have tried club soda and a humidifier but these don't seem to be helping and it's now getting difficult to swallow.  Anybody do something different that worked for them?

Help!  

Re: Thick saliva during radiation

Posted by Wendy Tea on Feb 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Walk2Buffy‍  I am sorry you are struggling with side effects from radiation. I have no personal experience but the Canadian Cancer Society has quite a bit of information under the heading Dry Mouth.  It is always a good idea to check with your doctor but in the meantime, you can check our website. 
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Lauren55 on Feb 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Walk2Buffy‍  I am sorry you are experiencing the thick saliva.  I too have it along with a pesky cough.  I talked to my oncologists and my family doctor about it. I had to resort to a puffer.  It really helps

If you find a better way please let me know.

Posted by Norm on Jun 28, 2020 8:09 pm

I have had oral surgery .and  completed my 7 weeks of radiation. Having the same problem with the mucus. Can you drink yet or are you on a g-tube.?