Herceptin

Herceptin

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jan 28, 2020 4:53 pm

Herceptin I know that it can affect my heart and I get MUGA's to record the changes. What I am wondering about is, does the heart recover once you have finished the herceptin treatments? Has anyone had to delay herceptin treatments because of the MUGA results? I am going to ask my Dr. at the next appointment but I am curious about everyone else. I have one more MUGA appointment about a week before my last Herceptin treatment which is in April. I have 4 more Herceptin treatments.
Thanks

Re: Herceptin

Posted by Runner Girl on Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi Buffythevampire‍ ,

Everything I've read about Herceptin says that yes, the heart does recover after treatment ends.  While all of my heart tests showed no damage I could feel it when I ran, my heart rate would skyrocket when I ran hard.  I had my last Herceptin in August and by November my running was much better and stronger.  

Be a good question to ask your oncologist and/or the tech doing your next heart test.

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Mammabear on Jan 29, 2020 11:18 am

I will be on Herceptin for life and we don't bother with MUGA scans any more apparently. I am not sure if this is because I have to be on it for life to live and the heart risks are less than letting cancer kill me. Chemo nurses still ask about racing heart etc when I get my treatments. 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences Runner Girl‍ amd Mama Bear‍.

Buffythevampire‍ - Great question. Let us know what the Oncologist says. 

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

I had an appointment with my Oncologist today and she did confirm for me that once you stop taking Herceptin your heart does recover on it's own.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Mar 22, 2020 7:27 pm

I can't seem to find the answer when I google it, so I will ask here.

Is herceptin or letrozole a immunosuppressant? I thought chemo compromised your immune system but not herceptin/letrozole.
Thanks

I only have 2 more herceptin treatments to go.

Posted by Treepeo on Mar 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi Buffythevampire‍,

I just wanted to let you know that one of my sisters has been on Herceptin for about 19 years.  She finally had to go on beta blockers about a year ago, but she still takes Herceptin.  She is almost 78 years old and still kicking.  So while Herceptin is definitely hard on the heart, it can keep cancer at bay for years, so is well worth it.

I was hoping Herceptin might be an answer for me as well  but alas, I am triple negative so no luck there.  Drat. 

Posted by Kims1961 on Mar 22, 2020 10:56 pm

Hello Buffythevampire‍ ...it can be so complicated - drug names, formula names - purposes etc etc.  I was on Herceptin and Letrozole. From the Canadian Cancer Website - i found:

Herceptin is considered a targeted therapy - http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/chemotherapy-and-other-drug-therapies/targeted-therapy/?region=on  and 
Letrozole is a hormone therapy -http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/chemotherapy-and-other-drug-therapies/hormonal-therapy/?region=on

Neither are listed as suppressing your immune system but this is definitely worth a call to your cancer centre - just to be sure.  I was just recently asked if i needed to take extra precautions in regards to COVID-19 and my tamoxifen .  This is where i find just a quick call can be reassuring.  

My husband had a kidney transplant so is on an immunosuppressant medication - will be for the rest of his life.  He has to be particularly careful in regards to the COVID-19 virus.  Fortunately throughout our health issues - washing our hands has always been very high on our hygiene practices.

Hope you are doing well.  When is your next Herceptin treatment?  Kim

Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 23, 2020 2:27 pm

Buffythevampire‍ 

Kims1961‍ has given you some great resources. I wanted to mention too that CCS has a Cancer Information Service line at 1-888-939-3333 with very knowledgeable people who can answer these types of questions., Congratulations on nearing the end of your Herceptin!

Treepeo‍  - thank you for sharing that inspirational story about your sister! We love to read stories like that :)

Lianne

Posted by Buffythevampire on Mar 23, 2020 5:39 pm

Kims1961‍ My next treatment in on March 31st. Then the final one is in April and my last muga is in April also. The hospital treatment room should call me by Friday to tell me what time to come for my treatment.
I have been feeling fine. I have a few lingering side effects from the chemo but manageable ones. I work in a grocery store (produce) and it's been crazy busy there and I go home exhausted. We have been given the option for overtime if we want it but I am not working more then 8 hour shifts. And I told them I still want my 2 days off. During my days off I stay home and enjoy the quiet. 
It sound like my next surgery will be delayed but don't know for sure. I currently have an expander and waiting for my permanent breast. I would rather wait then get sick.