Herceptin

Herceptin

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jan 28, 2020 4:53 pm

Herceptin I know that it can affect my heart and I get MUGA's to record the changes. What I am wondering about is, does the heart recover once you have finished the herceptin treatments? Has anyone had to delay herceptin treatments because of the MUGA results? I am going to ask my Dr. at the next appointment but I am curious about everyone else. I have one more MUGA appointment about a week before my last Herceptin treatment which is in April. I have 4 more Herceptin treatments.
Thanks

Re: Herceptin

Posted by Runner Girl on Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi Buffythevampire‍ ,

Everything I've read about Herceptin says that yes, the heart does recover after treatment ends.  While all of my heart tests showed no damage I could feel it when I ran, my heart rate would skyrocket when I ran hard.  I had my last Herceptin in August and by November my running was much better and stronger.  

Be a good question to ask your oncologist and/or the tech doing your next heart test.

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Mammabear on Jan 29, 2020 11:18 am

I will be on Herceptin for life and we don't bother with MUGA scans any more apparently. I am not sure if this is because I have to be on it for life to live and the heart risks are less than letting cancer kill me. Chemo nurses still ask about racing heart etc when I get my treatments. 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences Runner Girl‍ amd Mama Bear‍.

Buffythevampire‍ - Great question. Let us know what the Oncologist says. 

Posted by Buffythevampire on Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

I had an appointment with my Oncologist today and she did confirm for me that once you stop taking Herceptin your heart does recover on it's own.