Nail and hair recommendations

Nail and hair recommendations

Posted by JackieO on Jan 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi Everybody,

I live in Vancouver, B.C.  I am on a phase 1 trial and my neuropathy is coming back big time.  I am having a very hard time trimming my nails.  Can anybody recommend a good nurse or podiatrist who can help me?

Also, my hair is growing back after the chemo and needs a trim.  Can anyone recommend a good hair stylist that specializes in shaping a bald head coming back?

Thank you so much!

Re: Nail and hair recommendations

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 18, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi, JackieO‍ ,

I live in Ontario, however the CCS has a Community Services Locator that might be helpful to you. It may sound counter-intuitive, but I wonder if the wig centre nearest you might know of a hair stylist who works closely with patients whose hair is growing back in. Also, if you find a support group for your specific cancer in your area, perhaps they would know of some resources.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by JackieO on Jan 20, 2020 12:37 am

Thank you, Cynthia.  Good Idea.  I will try that!

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jan 20, 2020 7:26 am

JackieO‍ Another place to try is asking the people who run the "Look Good Feel Better" workshops.

Posted by JackieO on Jan 20, 2020 10:39 am

Will do.  Thank you Buffy!

Posted by JackieO on Jan 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi Everybody,

I contacted Look Good Feel Better and received the following response:

Thank you Jackie for reaching our to Look Good Feel Better.  Such wonderful news for you.  Unfortunately, we are a neutral foundation, therefore do not recommend any program, services or product.  There are so many wonderful local people that you might have to do some research. 

We wish you luck with your search.

Sincerely,

DANIELLE PAQUET | Stakeholder & Community Relations Coordinator
LOOK GOOD FEEL BETTER®
HELPING WOMEN WITH CANCER FEEL LIKE
THEMSELVES AGAIN SINCE 1992.

That was quite a disappointment to me.  They advertise help and it turns out not to be the case.  I have wasted time and effort registering on their site and sending e-mails due to their false advertisement.  How are they to help us LOOK GOOD FEEL BETTER?  

I just wanted everybody to know not to waste their valuable time on LOOK GOOD FEEL BETTER.

Jackie O

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jan 23, 2020 6:19 pm

JackieO‍ That's disappointing. Did you go to the "Look Good Feel Better" workshop? Maybe the local people that put it on would be of more help. Or what about the nurses at the hospital where you get your treatment. Or you might have to get out the phone book and try looking the old fashioned way by calling people and asking questions. 

Posted by JackieO on Jan 23, 2020 7:21 pm

Thanks Buffy.  All good suggestions.  I talked to all my nurses during my treatments and they couldn't recommend anybody.  I'm the major caregiver for my 83 yr. old mother so I can't make it to their workshop.  The workshop is on from 7-9pm.  But I will keep asking.  Thank you for caring.  All the Best to You!

Jackie

Posted by Essjay on Jan 23, 2020 7:45 pm

JackieO‍ did you have a regular stylist before? I found mine to be really good at helping me with my regrowth and managing it. As for nails, I would think any nail bar/manicurist would be able to do them for you even if you don’t want polish or anything. If you don’t know salons or nail places yourself would you have friends who can recommend places/stylists/nail techs?

I hope the neuropathy eases - I have minor neuropathy and my feet have been terrible today.

Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by JackieO on Jan 23, 2020 10:47 pm

Thank you, Essjay.  My hair stylist retired.  I'll try my mom's.  Thanks for the suggestion.

JackieO

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 24, 2020 10:06 am

JackieO‍ I’m sorry some of our suggestions haven’t worked for you. 

Could it be time to give your self a “splurge” and just choose the stylist with the best reputation in town?

Have you tried calling a few salons and asking them about their experience with doing hair that’s growing back in? I doubt that every stylist at every salon has experience, but I’d venture that almost every one of them has someone in their organization who could accommodate your needs.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by JackieO on Jan 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks Cynthia.  What a perfect excuse to splurge!😊  I bit the bullet and went to my mom's stylist.  I called her ahead of time to explain my situation.  She was great and didn't broadcast it through the salon.  I'm very satisfied with her efforts.  Thank you for the suggestion.

I was able to do my own nails.  I hope it gets easier as the neuropathy lessens.

Thanks again!