Hair Growth After Chemo

Hair Growth After Chemo

Posted by AniD on Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm

Can anyone suggest some hair care products to help with regrowth of hair after chemotherapy. I’m not into chemicals, so nothing that has them in it. I’m taking biotin to help and use a shampoo that was suggested to me by another forum member, but I still have some areas of my hair where I can see no regrowth; this is concerning me. Also, how long until my eyebrows and eyelashes come in? Last chemo round was November 30th and I know to start counting AFTER 3 weeks after that date. I just wanted to see what other’s experiences have been. Hoping to be back to my “normal” soon. I’m half way done radiation and hope to see my body start to return to normal after I’m done. Thanks in advance. 

Re: Hair Growth After Chemo

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 16, 2020 10:24 am

Hi, AniD‍ , I’m going to tag Runner Girl‍ , as I think she’s posted about this subject before.

(Edit: I should have read further along ... I see she’s provided comment in another post! Great minds!...)
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Essjay on Jan 16, 2020 10:55 am

Hi AniD‍ I found hair growth to be slow, and nine months after completing treatment i still have hairless or thin areas over my body. My eyebrows are one of those areas - thinner now than before, although weirdly, the fluffy fair hair over my face first off didnt seem to know how to stop growing so I found my eyebrows merged with this odd forehead hair and I had to shave my face a couple of times!. It calmed down after a bit. I dont remember when my eyelashes returned - it was as if they appeared overnight. Having nose hair again was a big bonus as winter arrived - cant believe how much of a pain it was last winter without :) My head hair took a long time to get growing - I was jealous of others posting pics of full heads of hair after a few weeks, and it was missing from my temples for a good few months. Looking back at photos, I think it started to get growing about 6-8 weeks after chemo finished and I finally had my first hair cut 7 months after completing chemo (and I normally have it cut every 5 weeks). Curly - it came back curly which I have struggled to manage and grey, and really felt it aged me terribly (along with the chemo wrinkles), so its buzzed to 1 inch length just now which I actually like alot - really easy to manage :)
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Runner Girl on Jan 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Essjay‍, 

A little castor oil on the eyebrows will bring them back nicely.  Just don't go outside the margins, as castor oil is very good at making hair grow.  

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by JustJan on Jan 17, 2020 4:16 pm

AniD‍, I finished chemo October 28th so almost one month before you. My eyebrows and eyelashes are back although eyelashes are shorter still than normal.  My hair is growing back quite quickly now on my head. It is a good 3/4” long now. I really don’t care if the rest of my body hair never comes back but it is coming in as well. Be patient, I’m sure one day you will say “hey, where did all that hair come from?”.

Posted by Treepeo on Jan 17, 2020 11:49 pm

Hi AniD‍,

My last chemo was August 6th.  I have grey, curly hair on my head but it is so thin right now that I still wear head scarves.  One of my sisters also had breast cancer years ago.  She told me it took a good 8 months before she felt she could go out bare-headed.  Ironically, all the hair on the rest of my body grew back much more quickly.  And I have hair growing on my face which I never had before.  Weird.