Second bout of DCIS, now mastectomy and reconstructive surgery

Second bout of DCIS, now mastectomy and reconstructive surgery

Posted by Cindorella on Sep 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Hi everyone. Quick refresher - starting in the fall of 2017 I had my very first mammogram.   Suspicious microcalcifications were seen in my left breast.  Core biopsy returned possible ADH but an excisional  biopsy was done and it was returned as DCIS of 4mm with 6mm clear margins all around.   Oncologist recommended not to have radiation.

So this year I had my first follow up mammogram.   This time a larger area of suspicious microcalcifications were seen - my left breast again.  So another core biopsy - inconclusive,  so another excisional biopsy.

After a long two months of waiting, on Tuesday I finally met with my breast surgeon to go over the results.

The results were not what I wanted to hear.  The size of the excisional biopsy was 7.2cm x 7cm x 2cm thick and the entire chunk had DCIS.  In addition,  the front, back and one side did not have clear margins.

So now I am being scheduled for a mastectomy.   I am also going to have reconstructive surgery at the same time.  At least that is the plan at this time.

Currently I am waiting to hear from the plastic surgeon so I can meet with him to go over my options.

​​​​​​ I know for a fact there are many of you out there that have had this done. My question is on the reconstructive breast did you have it made smaller and did the plastic surgeon also do a breast reduction on the good breast to make it match the reconstructed breast? Currently I wear DDD/F bras and I would really like to go down to a C.  Is that possible?

I'm also trying to look on the bright side of this that maybe for the first time in my life I'll actually have perky breasts.

I'm trying to stay positive but I'm also scared. 

Re: Second bout of DCIS, now mastectomy and reconstructive surgery

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Sep 12, 2019 7:12 am

Tagging Elizabeth06‍ , ashcon‍ , and Kims1961‍ - again, I can’t recall if any of you had reconstructive surgery, but I know you each have experience in the surgery end of it.

Cindorella‍ , I hope we can find some answers to your questions!

Re: Second bout of DCIS, now mastectomy and reconstructive surgery

Posted by ashcon on Sep 12, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Cindorella
Nice to see your name again pop up in these discussions, though I wish it were for different reasons.
I personnally did not have reconstruction after my double mastectomy (I'm flat) so am not the best person to attempt to answer your questions. 

I know there are many women on this site who have had reconstruction done along with "size alterations" to ensure the ladies match in the end. 

Just remembered... BRA Day events are coming up in October. Depending on the timing of your surgery  maybe you could attend one of those to get your questions answered.

All the best to you and let's hope this is the last time you have to face this beast. 

Ann (ashcon)