Naturepath and alternative options

Naturepath and alternative options

Posted by TT53 on Jul 11, 2019 10:27 am

Hello Everyone,

Just looking for ideas from anyone that has tried naturepathic therapies along with pre cancer surgery and  cancer treatments?  I have been diagnosed with breast cancer, still waiting for all results, surgery scheduled for the end of July.  Looking at options to give myself a best chance for surgery and probably radiation.  Thank you

Re: Naturepath and alternative options

Posted by Janegj on Jul 12, 2019 6:51 am

Hi there,
When my tumour was first found I went to a naturopath who gave me approximately 12 sorts of herbal medications to take each day, and put me on a raw vegan diet. I realised this route just wasn't for me and only lasted a few days on it. I had also spent a lot of money on an ozone converter, a near infrared sauna and a rebounder (all of which sit unused).
Mentally I just could not wrap my head around it and decided to go the conventional route, had a biopsy the following week, then lumpectomy, then mastectomy, A/C therapy for 3 months then Taxol/Herceptin for 12 weeks, 25 rounds of radiation and continuing with the Herceptin until October. I feel much happier with my decision and think a lot of it may be an age thing, younger folk seem to be more accepting of alternative treatments, but for me, I am happy and confident with the decision I made.
I guess every one of us has to find what we are comfortable with.
I must add, however, that I try to drink several glasses of green juice each day, usually do not eat red meat or chicken or drink milk and try and stay away from all dairy and sugar. The one good investment I made was a slow press juicer to make the juices, I look forward to drinking them each day.
At the end of the day you have to do your research and decide which path you would be most comfortable and confident with. The traditional way was for me and I am so relieved and happy that I did it.
Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
Jane

Posted by Jlo on Jul 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Dear TT53

I had Stage 4 uterine cancer and go to a naturopath.  I started doing accupuncture after my third round of chemo.  I had 6 rounds.  She gave me a variety of homeopathic remedies and vitamins to help heal my surgery and deal with the effects of chemo.  I believe it helped.  Most of my blood work was back to normal after 6 months except my liver.  I used some arnica before my surgery and had very little pain afterwards.  Sadly my oncologist did not believe in naturopaths and told me to go off all my homeopathics.  My natoropath understood which remedies would help me so I carried on.  I continued to go to the chiropractor and had massage monthly as well.  I learned mindfulness meditation which was very helpful.   
i wish you every success in your treatment.  Stay positive and find a good support team as well.  Best wishes
jlo (Joan)

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 12, 2019 5:10 pm

TT53‍   I didn't use any naturopathic products. I used some medical prescriptions for nausea and pain, and those worked quite well. I think we all should be aware that homeopathy is in a category of its own.  Homeopathy contains zero 'active' ingredient.  Someone took a herb, and diluted and diluted and diluted it to the point where even the best laboratories in the world find zero ingredient.  It's a placebo at best. https://www.skeptical-science.com/medicine/homeopathy-cure-active-ingredients/  and
https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/general-science-quackery/homeopathy-aware-or-beware   

Unlike a naturopath, medical doctors go to university for 3 or 4 years to get their BSc degree.  Then they train for 4 years to get their MD. Then they train in a speciality for up to 7 years.  So of course ask your doctor and pharmacist about naturopathy and homeopathy but don't be too surprised if they are against it.  The naturopathic herbs might actually weaken the doctor's treatments. 

Also, "Pharmacists graduating from college today are required to have a PharmDor Doctor of Pharmacy degree. College students can start a four-year pharmacy program after successfully completing two years of undergraduate coursework and earning a passing score on the PCAT (Pharmacy College Admission Test)."
https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-degree-is-required-to-become-a-pharmacist-1736015  

ACH2015‍   did you have anything to add, by chance???

Posted by TT53 on Jul 12, 2019 7:07 pm

I am not opting only for the naturepathic route.  I am looking for additional treatments to traditional medicine.  I am definitely going to listen to my oncologist, just wondering if there are other things I can do the better the outcome.

Posted by Aries on Jul 14, 2019 1:13 pm

TT53‍ - I take Vitamin D3 oil to supplement my chemotherapy. There have been some positive results from studies and an ongoing clinical trial for metastatic colorectal cancer (which is what I have) showing that Vitamin D3 can help prevent the spread of the disease. As I am unable to have a 3rd chemo drug due to minor bleeding, which would effectively do the same thing (stop blood cells from forming to spread the cancer) I feel this is a good alternative therapy to add. I will take that chance anyway and given my tumours are shrinking, I am going to assume it is helping me. A lot of us are Vitamin D deficient so I figured it wouldn't hurt either way and I cleared it with the Pharmacy prior to treatment.

Posted by LPPK on Jul 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello TT53‍    Have you checked out the Canadian Cancer Society information on   Complementary Therapies  in it there is a section on Naturopathic medicine .
Some complementary therapies that I used along with surgery and radiation and found useful were  Yoga,  meditation, painting pictures, listening to inspriational music, and guided imagery while listening to music (Dan Gibson's Solitudes). 
I hope you find complementary therapies that help you.

Re: Naturopath clarification

Posted by Jlo on Jul 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Hello Elsie:

When most of us speak of naturopaths, we are referring to a Naturopath Doctor (ND) who has been to university and obtained a BSc.  They then go on to take 4 more years of training and also do a practicum  with a qualified ND.  They take rigorous exams to qualify and must be certified by the Naturopathic Board.  ND's are now allowed to prescribe prescription medicines along with homeopathics.  They take courses every year to keep their skills up to date.  They have more training than a pharmacists.

Yes, all professions have quacks and those individuals that pass themselves off as qualified for what they are not.  I have met them in both the business and medical profession.

Joan 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 15, 2019 2:30 pm

TT53‍ 

I'm glad you posted! Thank you for clarifying that you are looking for complementary therapies. People often use the terms complementary therapy and alternative therapy as if they mean the same thing. But complementary therapies and alternative therapies are very different.

Complementary therapies are used together with conventional cancer treatments. Alternative therapies are used instead of conventional cancer treatments. For example, if you meditate before radiation therapy to help with anxiety, you’re using meditation as a complementary therapy. But if you choose not to have radiation therapy and meditate instead because you think meditation will cure your cancer, you’re using meditation as an alternative therapy. Read more: http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/complementary-therapies/choosing-a-complementary-therapy-and-practitioner/what-about-alternative-therapies/?region=on#ixzz5tlw47Tc1

LPPK‍ has gave a great link to some more information. I also wanted to give this link Questions to ask about complementary and alternative therapies

What type of surgery are you having?

Wishing you all the best!

Lacey

Posted by Hocklem on Jul 15, 2019 8:58 pm

I went to a naturopath half way through my chemo to help me manage my side effects. I had no intention of messing up my chemo but I wanted to do everything possible to maximize my health and treatment. I was also really worried about paclitaxel which was the chemo I was on for my last 4 rounds.  I started taking vitamin B, D, fish oil, biotin, and l-glutamine. I also used ice packs on my hands and feet during my 6 hour infusion and a tens machine after to help offset the neuropathy.  I did yoga, relaxation, meditation, and worked out regularly at the gym. I changed my diet completely and followed every dietary recommendation that my naturopath gave me. I ran everything by my oncologist and oncology pharmacist. I really think everything help me. I just finished radiation and I made a few changes to help my body prepare for that. Do what you can do and what seems reasonable to you. I wish you the very best.