Cannibis for appetite and nausea

Cannibis for appetite and nausea

Posted by Tiger Lily on Jul 10, 2019 8:44 pm

My husband has been diagnosed with Stage 4 NSC Lung Cancer- he has lost about 20-25 pounds and has no appetite as well as intermittent nausea. Our doctor today suggested we might want to try cannibis. Has anyone here used it for these symptoms, and if so what was your experience? Karen

Re: Cannibis for appetite and nausea

Posted by Kims1961 on Jul 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Tiger Lily‍ Very good question.  Interestingly I had this exact conversation last week with a lung cancer survivor .  He was at wits end with chronic hiccups, poor appetite and pain.  He used cannibus at the suggestion of his doctor as well - hiccups went all and he gained the 30 pounds he lost.  Much like any medicine, its good to have your doctors advice.  His doctor suggested low and slow...try a little and see how it goes or if there are any adverse effects.  

Good to do your research and see if your doctor has any recommendations.

Good luck!

Kim

Posted by Aries on Jul 10, 2019 11:09 pm

Tiger Lily‍ - as long as you clear it with the pharmacist to ensure it doesn't interfere with his treatment, then you can give it a go. I take CBD Oil with a low dosage of THC; to be honest, I have never been sure if it is doing anything but having read your post about promoting hunger to gain weight, you made me think that maybe it is doing the same for me as I feel like I am always in the mood for a snack! I haven't gained weight but my weight is stable.

I hope if he tries it, that he sees some improvement.

Aries

Posted by MrsBH on Jul 11, 2019 5:45 am

I have had so much success using CBD oil!

It gave me so much energy during chemo as well as helping me get my appetite back.

I also used CBD oil to manage my pain after my recent liver resection surgery (75% removed) and did not have to take dilaudid etc.

I also use it to get relief from neuropathy. (3 months after chemo)

Posted by Dave73 on Jul 11, 2019 9:00 am

hi just reading post and figure I could contribute. A friend mentioned to me about trying cannabis, for the reasons of being able to keep weight on while treatment, and also to keep my anxiety in check. My concern to him was that I have lung cancer and cannot smoke. He brought me a bag of edible gummies, he told me to start slow having half, and wait 30 mn to see if you need more. I tell you this from experience about 2 hours after taking the gummies, I wasn't thinking or worrying about anything, and my cupboards were not safe from me (munchies). I can go from crackers, to yogurt, then to nuts etc. I just try to keep my mind set to try to eat healthy
Dave 

Posted by Tiger Lily on Jul 11, 2019 12:03 pm

It was so good to hear that cannibis  is working for some of  you!  My husband is reluctant (extremely conservative) but the doctor told him it would be a better choice than some drugs he could prescribe as it will not impact his sugar levels as badly (he is type 2 diabetic)...the radiology oncologist admitted  was no expert and that the reps at the store would be more knowledgeable on  what strain would be helpful.  Kims1961‍ I would be SO HAPPY if it worked like it did for your friend!  Do you have any idea what he was using?  Aries‍ and MrsBH‍  I had read that CBD oil would not be helpful for appetite - but obviously it has worked for you?  Wonderful!  And Dave73‍ I have  to admit I giggled a little imagining you happily scrounging through cupboards and drawers looking for anything edible!  I would be so pleased if my husband did that.I So off to the "pot store" I go! Wish me luck - and if you have any other info you can offer I would be most appreciative!  Karen

Posted by law on Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Holy Cannabis!
I take half of a cannabis gummy, put it in water, and heat it up in the microwave. It is important to drink it with a little food...and I find it relaxes me, but more importantly, my appetite returns in about 2 hours (munchies anyone?)  so I can eat more often and I have begun gaining back 15 lbs. of the 40 I lost.  I feel better being thinner so it boosts my mood. I was always 25 lbs. overweight anyway.
Fortunately I have not had any nausea but I declined chemo and had 36 rounds of radiation instead. Radiation caused severe mouth and throat pain and ulcers on the tongue which made it excruciating to eat or swallow for 9 months.
I heartily recommend cannabis.
law

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 11, 2019 3:30 pm

I use CBD oil to help with my IBS (it's stress induced) and it was most helpful thru my breast cancer treatment.  The oil I use has absolutely no THC content.  I am subject to drug testing at my job and any amount of THC is not acceptable.

Runner Girl

Posted by Cinderella59 on Jul 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi Runner Girl‍ you say you drink fuzzy water or club soda for your IBS but do you have acid reflux?  I’m on meds for that. 
What does these drinks do for your IBS?  

My dr. Referred me to a Dr at a clinic in Toronto that prescribes CBD oil. So I ordered some from CannTrust in Woodbridge. 
Does anyone know if you get a prescription from the Dr. can you get reimbursed from your extended health benefits like Sunlife Insurance?    
I find that 10ml bottle is very expensive it cost me $100. 

Thanks for your time. 
Cindy

Posted by Dave73 on Jul 11, 2019 5:32 pm

hi cindy
just to answer your question about insurance companies. I do not believe any insurance companies are covering cannabis products YET. That will be next I assume, I have a script, worked differently before it was legal. Now that its legal, the script is pretty much no good now, but I will hold onto it. I know forsure it will eventually be covered by insurance companies, once they realize how many people need it for medical reasons. I hold onto my receipts and just wait lol
Dave   

Posted by Aries on Jul 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Cinderella59‍  and Dave73‍ - I have extended health coverage with my employer and with that I have a Health Care Spending Account which can be used to cover items that are not covered by the regular plan. I can claim my CBD oil from this through Sunlife Insurance. I have a sort of prescription from my doctor (she filled out a form for a company called Tilray based in Nanaimo) and that is where I get my CBD oil from. I have to provide Sunlife with a copy of the prescription with my claim form.

Posted by Cinderella59 on Jul 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi Aries‍ so what does your Dr. put on your prescription? 
How does he/she word it?  

If you could please let me know I’d appreciate it. 

Thanks 
Cindy 

Posted by Aries on Jul 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Cinderella59‍ - My doctor filled out a Medical Document from Tilray; noting the Usage purpose as Pain, Nausea, Insomnia and Chemo side effects. It is valid for 12 months and Daily Usage 5 grams/day. I use oil though but it is still valid. The doctor provides her License Number and clinic information. She faxed it directly to Tilray. 
Just as a note about this company, they are have a Compassionate Pricing Program.

Posted by Tiger Lily on Jul 13, 2019 12:32 pm

MrsBH‍ Did the CBD oil work for you first time you took it? What dosage do you take? My husband had it yesterday afternoon for the first time and I was optimistic as he asked for food for the first time in a long time. But he doesn’t seem to be getting any benefit today. Nauseated and no appetite. We started yesterday with 5 mg- I upped it to 7.5 today
Karen