Let's Discuss...pain

Re: Let's Discuss...pain

Posted by Vivid Colours on Jun 26, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm years out from surgery and chemo and still have some pain. Please don't suffer.
Vivid Colours

Posted by Chocoholic on Feb 9, 2020 2:30 pm

Has anyone used gabapentin  for pain? I've been prescribed it, but someone said they only take 100mg at night. Any more than that they would be too dopey to drive etc. 
Thank you in advance.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Feb 10, 2020 7:57 am

Chocoholic‍ , what did your doctor or pharmacist say about taking it?

There are so many factors to consider when taking a medication. I would imagine that medications will hit people of different sizes and weights (and even different ages) differently. It might also depend on whether the meds are taken with or without food.

You’re wise to want to be sure about this drug before you decide to head out on a road trip! 
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by lisac on Feb 10, 2020 11:13 am

I take 1200mg daily for pain. The neuropathy from the chemo had my right pain so painful. It would radiate up my arm and almost have me in tears. I take 300mg twice a day and 600mg at bedtime. I have a urostomy so just worry about what it may do to my kidneys. But the neuropathy is supposed to be gone in a year or so hopefully! So I just hydrate a lot! Never groogy but I fall asleep better than ever when I wake up during the night.

Posted by jorola on Feb 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi Chocoholic‍ 
As you may know gabapentin is for nerve pain but is not a narcotic/opioid/painkiller. It can cause some drowsiness though which is why many people take it at night. The dosing can very greatly from 100-200 mg per day to as much as 3000 mg per day. It is all dependent of the type of nerve pain you have and of course how much.
Any medication is a chemical and when you take it there is a chemical reaction. Some people are more sensitive to medications that others.
Your pharmacist or doctor can answer more specific questions for you and any concerns/warnings for you taking this medication at your specific dose.
How do you feel taking it? Does it make you drowsy or impaired in any way?
Live, Laugh, Love

Posted by Chocoholic on Feb 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi jorola, 
I've had a chance to take the Gabapentin, and I would say it makes me not really drowsy, but rather dopey, and stupid. In the daytime I end up making poor decisions, that I would regret later. It does take the edge off the pain, but the bulk of it is still there. One night it may help me find sleep, but the next night I'm dopey, in pain, and awake. I don't  know if I have to take it for a while for it to be effective. Sounds like it works for some people, but I don't think I can handle being a dopey, bad decision-maker, that's still feeling pain!  I wish I had the good results that other people have.

Posted by jorola on Feb 12, 2020 7:47 pm

I am enclosing a link  on medications for nerve pain from Harvard Chocoholic‍ . Maybe take it to your doctor and see what they think?
https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/drugs-that-relieve-nerve-pain
Or are you being prescribed the gabapentin for something other than nerve pain?
Live, Laugh, Love

Posted by Chocoholic on Feb 12, 2020 8:33 pm

I've been prescribed Gabapentin definitely for nerve pain!
Thanks for the link. It's fantastic having everyone share their knowledge and resources. Such a blessing during difficult times.