Hair loss and cold caps

Hair loss and cold caps

Posted by Aries on Mar 12, 2019 10:17 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried a cold cap to help prevent hair loss during chemo?

Also, a few people on another post mentioned getting ice for hands and feet during chemo treatment - did you get this for each session? how much do you feel it helped?

Thanks!

Aries

Re: Hair loss and cold caps

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 12, 2019 11:28 am

Hi Aries‍ ,

I did not do the cold cap.  I figured I could not tolerate having the cold on my head, and it is not always successful.  Easier to let it go.  I did do the ice on hands and feet every time I had Docetaxal.  It was hard to tolerate the cold for the hour it took to be infused with it, but I do not have neuropathy problems with my hands or feet now.  My finger nails did suffer minor damage and are now almost fully grown out.  My toe nails suffered no damage at all, in fact my black/blue runners toe nail actually grew out and healed beautifully during treatment.  Another thing you might want to consider is drinking cold water while you're getting the infusion to help minimize the damage to your mouth, throat, etc.  I had no problems with sores in my mouth, but my gums were more red and sensitive.

Hope you find this helpful.  Wishing you all the best with treatment.

Gayle - Runner Girl

Posted by Aries on Mar 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Gayle (Runner Girl)

Thanks for responding and that is great information. To be honest, I am not really worried about losing my hair - at the end of the day, it is the least of my worries! And I will get to try out a wig or two - something fun that I would never do in "regular" life :)

I will definitely look to do the cold on my hands and feet then although my hands and feet are often on the cold side but that probably won't help, icing them sounds like a good option and will keep in mind about drinking cold water too. I don't know what treatment/drug I will be on but I will ask about that.

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi Aries‍ ,

Just a comment on wigs.  I bought 5 of them, varying lengths and colors.  And I had a blast with them while I still had hair.  Once my hair left I was unable to wear them because they gave me a red, itchy rash.  Apparently I'm allergic to the glue used to hold them together and with no hair between the wig and my scalp it was a problem.  I then went to wearing head covers, in a rainbow of colors, as I found my head was cold all the time.  Just a warning, if you have a synthetic wig you cannot wear it in the kitchen when you are cooking, it will melt.  There are a multitude of options for covering your head if/when your hair decides to go on vacation for a while, I recommend you have fun with it.  I love wearing my hot pink head cover, I have received many compliments on it from both cancer patients and "regular" people.

Take good care.

Gayle - Runner Girl

Posted by Aries on Mar 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi Gayle,

Great advice - I had assumed there would be some kind of protective skull cap or something to under the wig. I will definitely get some nice head covers though - we lose most of our body heat out of our head so it would make sense without hair that we would feel more cold.

Cheers :)

Fiona (Aries)

Share with your friends: