Home to Recover Challenge

Home to Recover Challenge

Posted by Quinn on Mar 6, 2019 2:36 am

...I have returned home late Sunday afternoon from Friday's surgery at 2:30PM - scary part is OVER, and everything sure felt SO weird being back home. Getting settled and thought - WOW, I was asked to get my meds filled and bring it home. Nothing is open on Sundays hmm...Monday morning I was happy I survived one night without any pain meds until the Pharmacy was open at 10 AM. A neighbour went down and picked up my meds for me. I was able to have small 2-3 meals and small snacks, and LOTS of fluids. My bed is not set up, so I ended up sitting position on my sofa, with feet up. I was able to walk but sitting and getting up hmm, proved to be challenging. Had plenty of cat naps in between, while a friend was to straighten my kitchen around...The drain thing, it annoys me but I will bite my tongue and wait for the healing to start, then see the plastic surgeon, and hope that drain is removed. Be happy and freed from IV lines...next...drain...next bandages...Patience is the name of the game hmm, I TRY...

Will be back here, in the next few days, to chirp a few notes...

Re: Home to Recover Challenge

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 6, 2019 5:16 pm

Quinn‍  So glad you are home and everything went well - mostly - except the delay in getting the pain meds?  The neighbour and the friend, that's two different people?  It's great that you have that help. Now, you only had 3 or 4 days to get ready for surgery?  So were there certain things that you didn't get done ahead of surgery, or for the most part everything essential was done on time? 

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 6, 2019 5:48 pm

Quinn‍ 
Glad you are home now and the real healing can begin in the comfort of your own home. Happy that you had someone to get the meds errand done. Too bad the hospital didn't think of that ahead of time and given you a handful to tied you over.

thank you for posting. Look forward to your update when you are up to it

Take care

Lianne

Posted by Kims1961 on Mar 6, 2019 9:49 pm

Quinn‍ ...a step at a time!  You are home!  That is a big achievement and recovery begins.  I found a few days after surgery, the pain was more noticeable so good thing to have some pain meds on hand and take them ahead of the pain if you can.

I slept upright in a chair for a big -supported my drains and arms with pillows.  Whatever is comfortable and works .  

Eating is great...small meals will help digestion and keep those bowels moving!

Thanks for letting us know.  Kim

Posted by LPPK on Mar 7, 2019 6:54 pm

Quinn‍  it sounds like you have a wonderful neighbour.  Don't be afraid to ask for help...usually there are relatives and friends not knowing what to do so they stay away.  

I can remember being told as a child "no stingy no curey"....so when things start tingling and itching you can focus on the fact that things are healing. 

Posted by Quinn on Mar 12, 2019 11:14 pm

...Just to say that I am doing ok, each day is somewhat easier, and some not so easy after my surgery. I had some trouble typing a line here, kept messing up, my mind is scattered at some point, trying to let dear family/ friends and friends here know where my footprints have gone. Having read from Gravity60, he's right when it comes to the title, "Cancer is my teacher", I have watched how everything unfolded after I was diagnosed with IDC in 2017, quite a eye opener, going from string of Dr. appointments, tests, scans and blood work. Then there are certain friends that don't seem to understand what I am going through, seeing my frustration with painful joint pain as side effects from taking letrozole. My anger grew when it assumed that I have arthritis. I have had to avoid certain friends that think they know what they are saying and I am wrong. I had no idea that some form of communication on friends who lack knowledge or misleading information on Cancer, treatments, support can backfire, and loss of friends can happen. I try not to get close to people that don't have a good sense of understanding what a person may be going through. What will work is, if the friend/ family member shows some eagerness to educate themselves through Cancer workshops, so they are ready and able to help out.

Still a student, in learning everyday basis, like recovery from surgery, then to radiation...I have booklets to read but is walking through the doors like how it works, side effects, need a smart buddy with great wits to keep my emotions steady. Bazillion thanks to dear friends on here for tips/ thoughts and ideas shared.

Quinn

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am

Good to hear from you Quinn‍. I have been thinking of you!

Keeping taking it day by day and be patient with yourself you have been through so much. 

I'm glad you have found comfort in your friendships here. We are glad you found us.

hugs,
Lacey