Taxol numb toes

Taxol numb toes

Posted by Manoushka56 on Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am

My oncologist decided to cancel my last treatment because my toes give me trouble. It started more or less three weeks ago, it was endurable, we reduced the treatment to 80%. The following week was a little more difficult, the pain stronger and more invasive. After another week without treatment it is always so difficult ... I can not always have my legs up!
What can I do to help? Massotherapy, acupuncture? Hot bath, ice?
If you went through this, tell me what you did.
Thank you

Re: Taxol numb toes

Posted by ashcon on Feb 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi Manoushka56‍ 
Oh, I feel your pain...and your numbness!  
Unfortunately, there’s no scientifically proven way to prevent neuropathy caused by chemotherapy. And there’s no way to know in advance who’ll develop it and who won’t. Or whether it will last a lifetime, or ease off over time.

According to this article from Healthline, Neuropathy from Chemo, it sounds like you are doing the right things now by adjusting your chemo regime and advising your doctor about what is going on.
Also suggested is:  relation therapy, massage, acupuncture and: 
  • Don’t wear tight clothes or shoes that interfere with circulation.
  • Avoid alcoholic beverages.
  • Take all your medications as directed.
  • Get plenty of rest while in treatment.
  • Follow your doctor’s recommendations for diet and exercise.
  • Keep your oncologist informed about new or worsening symptoms.
I got minor neuropathy in my toes as a result of chemo.  I finished chemo one year ago and it seems that some days I barely notice it, and others it is very noticeable.  No predicting! 
I am hoping you get to see improvement.

Side note: I know someone who declined the chemotherapy recommended by her oncologist because she was fearful of neuropathy in her hands, and she depends on full use of her hands in her line of work.  Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be on this side of the grass with somewhat limited movement of appendages, than the other option!

Re: Taxol numb toes

Posted by Manoushka56 on Feb 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Thank you ashcon
Since chemo is finished, I hope it will subside a bit. Meanwhile I will start the treadmill to get my toes moving (-12°C is too cold for me) and I might try acupuncture.
Everything else I do...although I will have to forego my happy hour cocktail I took once in a while!
Crossing my fingers🤞