Radiation

Radiation

Posted by Catherine52 on Feb 4, 2019 10:51 pm

Is radiation is as tiring as everyone says? I will probably need 25 treatments for breast cancer.

Re: Radiation

Posted by ACH2015 on Feb 5, 2019 9:59 am

Hi Catherine52‍ 

Radiation therapy may leave us with many potential side effects. Fatigue is one of them.

25 rounds is very common (I had 28 not for breast cancer) and the treatment plan will vary depending on your unique circumstances.

The link below talks about the potential side effects from radiation.

http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/radiation-therapy/side-effects-of-radiation-therapy/?region=on

This link discusses ways to manage those side effects.

Talk to your Radiation oncologist about what your potential side effects will be, and their recommendations for managing and getting through the best way you can.

Radiation treatments have cumulative side effects. Fatigue can go on for a couple of weeks after the treatments end, and this is normal. Ask your Radiation team to give you information about your specific treatment plan, and what they recommend you watch for, report and keep track of during the treatments.

http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/diagnosis-and-treatment/managing-side-effects/?region=on

ashcon

What was the name of that film you used during radiation to help reduce the burn? Is it commonly used now?

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Dielle on Feb 6, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi Catherine52‍, everyone reacts differently.  I had 33 treatments for breast cancer and found it extremely tiring, not only physically but emotionally.  It was just such a drag going day after day.  And it did build up as the treatment went on.  Try planning to do a little something you enjoy after your treatment.  Unfortunately I fell into visiting the cheesecake shop that was across the street from my skytrain station - I should have planned better.

But other people feel well enough to go to work after.   

Try to get enough sleep, drink lots of water, and exercise if you can.  It does help.

Take care.
Debbie

Posted by Catherine52 on Feb 6, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. Very helpful

Posted by NannaM on Feb 7, 2019 10:33 am

Hi Catherine52,
For me, it was tiring, and I just gave in to the need to have a nap most days. I found that the travel time to and from the hospital meant that it took my life over for those few weeks. The team at the Cancer Centre were so so nice. Kind, cheerful, chatty. They really made things bearable. 
I needed some help with my skin towards the end, the oncologist prescribed Betaderm.  The reaction is a personal thing, I think. My skin is very fair and used to burn in the sun within a few minutes. 
Its only a few weeks, and I decided that I wanted to do everything I could to ensure that those nasty little cancer cells were flattened first time!
Virtual Hugs, NannaM