Port leak... sigh...

Re: Port leak... sigh...

Posted by Janegj on Apr 2, 2019 7:42 am

Christine, I am so very sorry that you are having to endure all of this. I cannot add anything more to the advice than others have already contributed, but I wish you all the very best on your journey and look forward to hearing of your progress.
In the meantime, think about changing your mantra to "I'm a horse, I'm a horse, I'm a horse."
Much love and support to you.
Jane

Posted by Gabriel on Apr 2, 2019 8:56 am

Haven't had an issue at the clinic but the end cap on the tubing from my port came off, while I was wearing my bottle. I was out riding in my side by side, with my two grand children, at the time and of all things, wearing a red tee shirt. I didn't notice but my granddaughter did. By stomach was covered with a chemo/blood mixture. Luckily there was a stream by the trail. I closed of the clasps on the tubing and washed myself and my tee shirt in the stream. Then I washed down the side by side seating, as I was telling my grandchildren that everything was okay. I have a spill kit but keep it in the truck. Lesson learned.

The nursing station was closer than my home so I headed there and the nurse panicked a bit. I was her first spill. I called my wife for a fresh change of clothing and she panicked. However me and the grandchildren were calm as could be.  

I must have dealt with the spill quickly enough as there were no issues with my skin afterward.

Now whenever I leave the Cancer Clinic I always check that all the fittings are tight. And as a precaution, I try not to do silly things while I am on chemo. 

Have a Great Day
Charles

Posted by ChristineH on Apr 2, 2019 11:23 am

Janegj‍, hahahahaha! I’m afraid it’s a bit late for the horse mantra to have effect on me. But I’ll try to get my adult children on it, they very much take after me but it might not be too late for them yet!

Gabriel‍, good on you and the little ones for remaining calm! Things always go much better that way. I’m happy there was no apparent side effects for you :)

My leak was a bit different being an internal one, while chemo was being administered. 

Thank you all for the ongoing support!
Christine “Never a horse, always a zebra”

Share with your friends: