Solutions for hair recovery after Chemo?

Solutions for hair recovery after Chemo?

Posted by jeniswee on Jan 31, 2019 11:34 am

I’m 5 weeks out from my last chemo infusion and my (head) hair is starting to grow back but I lost the last of my eyelashes last night. :( I have products that are formulated (for Chemo patiens) to help my head hair grow back healthy but I’m curious of anyone has experience with using a Lash Growth product like Latisse to help lashes grow back after chemo?

Re: Solutions for hair recovery after Chemo?

Posted by Runner Girl on Jan 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi jeniswee‍ ,

My lashes and eyebrows left me during radiation (late December).  I have about 6 eyelashes left on the top of each eye and none on the bottom.  I've noted, using my magnifying mirror that they are starting to come back now, it's been about a month without them.  I've used no product on them to this point.  My eyebrows are coming back nicely, I've been rubbing a bit of castor oil on them each night since they fell.  Sorry, doesn't really answer your question about Latisse, just thought a timeline of how mine are faring might give you and idea if you want to use a product or just wait for them.

Posted by Aly on Jan 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi jeniswee‍ , I don't have an answer for you, but I am going to link an article and a discussion thread from BreastCancer.org here.
  • The article talks about the role of Bimatoprost eyelash gel which is typically recommended by oncologists for hair growth. It states within that there have been no tests on Latisse products as of yet.
  • The forum thread I am linking is a discussion regarding using latisse during and after treatment.
I hope this helps!

Aly

Posted by jeniswee on Jan 31, 2019 11:19 pm

Thank you Runner Girl and Aly After I posted this this morning, I was doing my makeup in a magnified mirror and actually saw little baby eyelashes poking their way through! I’d still like to look for something to encourage healthy growth. I’d forgotten about the Castor Oil remedy! (and know that it’s far more affordable than Latisse) so maybe I’ll give that a go to start :)

Posted by Kims1961 on Feb 1, 2019 10:07 am

jeniswee‍ I asked my oncologist if there was anything I could use to help speed up the eyelash growth and she said she didn't know of any.  I had heard of Latisse but she didn't have any info.  so wasn't prepared to support it.  I found the little eyelashes would start to irritate my eye but it was so exciting to see them!  One of the hardest parts of cancer was the no hair/ no eyelash looksmiley...yes...just like an emoji!  ha ha

It's funny how I really noticed other peoples eyelashes now ...there is such a trend for eyelash extensions and all I wanted was just a few noticeable ones!  Soon enough they will be back!

Kim

Posted by Aly on Feb 1, 2019 5:01 pm

Just an open question to anyone with experience, would biotin be of any use? Or would it negatively impact the treatment?

Posted by jeniswee on Feb 2, 2019 1:55 pm

Aly - as a hairdresser, I know that biotin has helped a lot of my clients and from the results I’ve seen, it stands to reason that it should help eyelashes and brows too! Not sure about it interfering with another treatment though. Kims1961 - I agree - it’s so exciting seeing those little lashes poking through...the hair loss has been a big bummer for me as well :( It’s a little silly but I look at them every morning now and give them encouraging words “I see you!! You guys are doing great! Keep growing!!”

Posted by Runner Girl on Feb 2, 2019 3:34 pm

Biotin can skew your blood work.  It is recommended to stop taking it for a period of time before having blood work done.  

Posted by mycrazyjourney on Feb 4, 2019 9:35 am

I personally think natural products are the way to go, can’t hurt... I use jojoba oil, natural cold pressed on my face neck and bald head. Does not leave and oily residue and soaks right in to your skin. I have noticed that my hair is coming in fast and soft like peach fuzz, but thicker. I have 1 more chemo treatment to go and excited to see hair starting to grow on my head again. Good luck 

Posted by Aly on Feb 6, 2019 2:16 pm

jeniswee‍ ,  Runner Girl‍ , meems‍ , mycrazyjourney‍ - thank all of you for your information. 

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Feb 6, 2019 3:14 pm

jeniswee‍ 
I used Rapid Lash after my treatment, for my eyelashes and eyebrows. It worked very well. I ended up with longer thicker lashes than I had before. At the time I posted a testimonial on their facebook page but they kindly asked me to reword it as they are not allowed to make that claim. I quit using it a few months later so I no longer see that big difference  but I know people that have taken it regularly and love the results.
I had bought false lashes but I never even took them out of the box. Figured I would only end up gluing my eyes shut 😁

If you end up using something that works, and you are able to, report back - it will definitely help someone else down the road.

Lianne

Share with your friends: