Feeling isolated? You can now be prescribed a trip to the museum

Feeling isolated? You can now be prescribed a trip to the museum

Posted by ACH2015 on Jan 29, 2019 7:40 am

"Social prescriptions are a means for health care, community and social service professionals to refer people to non-medical services that, along with existing treatments, can promote health and well-being. And while a place like the ROM might seem like an unusual recommendation, there’s evidence to say that museums do more for our health than we might think." See the article below from todays Toronto Star.

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2019/01/28/feeling-isolated-you-can-now-be-prescribed-a-trip-to-the-museum.html

Winter + Cancer Treatments or Recovery can result in increased isolation. Many of us are unable to return to work, or are struggling to do so. 

Including Socialization with medical treatments show many health benefits to both your mental and physical health.

You don't have to be from Toronto to benefit from a trip to the Royal Ontario Museum. We all have similar interesting places within our own communities. Bus tours exist to take you to concerts, theatre, shopping and many other social activities where you let someone else do the driving and you do the enjoying. You can also check to see who can accommodate people with mobility issues, wheel chairs etc. The new world is far more accessible than it used to be.

Step out of your comfort zone and into some refreshing, interesting and stimulating activities to give you a different perspective.  This can be a great way to bring families together for a day, and rekindle friendships - icebreakers for all to get back into the social swing of things.

Not all prescriptions need to come from a bottle.

Keep well and keep yourself stimulated.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Re: Feeling isolated? You can now be prescribed a trip to the museum

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 29, 2019 10:37 am

Love this!

Anyone else thinking about prescribing themselves an outing somewhere to lift their spirits?

Posted by LPPK on Jan 29, 2019 4:30 pm

What a super idea.  Self prescriptions are not expensive and a great way to give a change of scenery.  Getting out and about was definitely a boon to my post treatment mood and recovery time.  A month after I finished radiation my husband loaded me in the car and we went to Florida.  Getting away to a different climate, with so many things to see and do really helped to boost my mood and energy level.  

As I think back over the last year,  self prescription has been a good part of my recovery.   I started going to a weekly yoga class, it helped me to feel better, offered me strategies for coping with stress and meeting and talking with new people was a bonus.  I joined a monthly evening adult reading group at the library and have acquired some new friends (actually several of them also go to yoga).  We golfed at 5 golf courses we have not been at before, enjoyed the exercise and the nature around the courses (not so much the baby alligator I almost stepped on),  We went to a Cirque du Soleil performance in Montreal and enjoyed a fantastic dinner out.  After taking a year off from curling during my diagnosis, surgeries and treatment, we started back up this winter and enjoy the exercise and fellowship.  We did splurge and go on a Baltic cruise with my brother and his wife (a breast cancer survivor), enjoyed the food and sights.   

Looking at all these things I feel that the getting out of the house among people and getting some exercise has helped with both my mental and physical health.  

Posted by WesT on Jan 30, 2019 9:20 am

ACH2015‍ I read that a couple of weeks ago.  Great idea but may not last long if it costs, specifically Ontario, money.....