Zoledronic Acid Infusion Fatigue

Zoledronic Acid Infusion Fatigue

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Wow, I had my Zoledronic Acid Infusion treatment today and forgot what the fatigue feels like.  No wonder I was wiped out after my chemo and radiation treatments and could not get myself going back to work.  I haven't had fatigue like this in a long time.  Feels weird.

Re: Zoledronic Acid Infusion Fatigue

Posted by Pickles on Jan 22, 2019 9:57 am

Wow, I certainly didn't  get that side effect.  I had my second infusion the day before we left for Mexico last week.  Absolutely no problems with the infusion - no aching, no tiredness.  That is what is so interesting about this journey.   No two people are affected the same way.

Are your treatments every 6 months as mine are?  I assume you are triple negative as well.

scaredysquirrel‍ 

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi, yes mine is every 6 months.  It was not too bad this time. Pretty fast too

Posted by Essjay on Apr 15, 2019 6:54 pm

My oncologist has recommended this drug - anything I should know scaredysquirrelPickles‍ .?

Posted by Kims1961 on Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Essjay‍ I'm getting this infusion every 6 months as well.  I've had 2 infusions so far and so far so good. I had a few side effects - but wasn't sure if it was the Herceptin or the Zometa or Letrozole!  Too many meds to choose from.  I've attached a document from BC Cancer that has some good info.  The positives so far are outweighing the negatives.

Good luck!  Kim

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/drug-database-site/Drug%20Index/Zoledronic%20acid_monograph.pdf

Posted by Essjay on Apr 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Thanks Kims1961‍ - my oncologist gave me the same info today. I’m up for it - anything that helps reduce the chance of return. There’s not much on offer for TNBC! I’m high risk for osteoporosis due to premature ovarian failure and family history so it seems like double positive!

Posted by Cinderella59 on Apr 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi just wondering has anyone experienced teeth problems?  
I only had one injection my teeth are loose and seem to be sensitive and bleeding. 

Thanks 

Posted by Kims1961 on Apr 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Cinderella59‍   I'm going to attach the side effect document that i was given.  My oncologist mentioned that Zoledronic infusion can affect healing in your mouth - so maybe while there is some bleeding?  I had to go to my dentist before i started the treatment and to let her know if i was having any issues with my teeth.  I would definitely let your medical team know about your side effects, just to be on the safe side.  

https://www.cancercareontario.ca/en/drugformulary/drugs/infosheet/43886

Keep us posted on how you're doing.  Kim

Posted by Julypoppy on Apr 26, 2019 9:21 am

I felt terrible after my first infusion.  flu like. I hope the next one is better. I had it while still having radiation treatments so not sure if that made it harder.

Posted by Essjay on May 8, 2019 9:47 am

I had my first Zoledronic Acid infusion yesterday morning. I had a headache soon after but not much more and anyway I was pretty focused on getting my first radiation treatment out of the way too.

Then at 9pm oh my! I suddenly started the most violent shaking and teeth chattering. My hubby put me to bed with a hot water bottle but I had a rough night. I had bone aches, and kidney pain (despite drinking loads more than usual cos I knew this drug would hit my kidneys), fever and nausea. This morning I feel rough, like I have the flu. Just to make it worse, I feel like I have pulled a muscle in the irradiated chest. I have no knowledge of pulling anything so I am assuming  radiation treatment caused this discomfort.

Today will be about resting so I can make it to my next radiation appointment this afternoon...

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 8, 2019 10:12 am

Essjay‍ 

I'm sorry you had such a rough night. 

Would you describe the feeling as chest pain? I see on the side effect sheet Kims1961 posted‍ it mentions seeking medical assistance if you have chest pain. Glad you will see the team today and can mention your experience.

I hope you get some rest today,
Lacey

Posted by Kims1961 on May 8, 2019 11:07 am

Essjay‍   Darn....just saw this post - sorry you had such a response to the Zoledronic acid.  The good thing about radiation is being able to see /ask questions each day - definitely mention it to them. I have also had the bone aches and nausea ( dizzy spells) - but not the fever.   It always seems that the side effects hit once you're home and not during treatment when you can actually ask someone. I understand there may be adjustments or alternatives to Zoledronic that can help.  When I mentioned this to my oncologist,  she also said that our bodies have gone through so much, that the side effects can initially be more difficult but as we regain our stamina, it will get better. My second treatment did go better.

Hope today is better.  Kim

Posted by Essjay on May 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Bleurgh! Rough couple of days. Have literally dragged myself out of bed each day to do radiation treatment go home, try and stay up until after supper then bed. Feeling a little better today - the aches, except to my side and lower back were gone, so I figured I should go get checked out. I fully expected to get a quick once over and told all was good...but they were thorough. Urine, bloods, physical exam and xrays. Kidney function was satisfactory, doc was more concerned about my bones...And I may need a bone scan. I was given a list of things to watch for over the weekend and reasons to go to Emerg, but I think it’s nothing to worry about. My theory is that when I was shivering so violently the other night, I may have pulled a vertebrae out of alignment or strained a muscle. 

This stuff had better do its do its job or I want no more of it!

Posted by Bgirl on May 10, 2019 4:32 pm

I had my first Zoledronic Acid Infusion in combo with my Herceptin about 10 days ago.  I too had a high fever and was quite ill for about 2 days.  Definitely upped the pain levels from the Letrozole and am getting pain in lower back and long bones, especially shins and upper arms.  Still exhausted - haven't bee this tired since the 4th week of rads.
Glad they looked into things for you.  Hope you feel better soon
Haven't booked my next in 6 months time, certainly hoping it goes better though.