Let's Talk Radiation

Re: Let's Talk Radiation

Posted by KerriKerri on Jun 18, 2020 9:49 am

I have my first 'face to face' with the radiation oncologist on Tuesday. We shall see what we shall see.

Posted by KerriKerri on Jun 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Today we hammered out our final agreement on radiation and had the set up as well.

Three scheduled appointments radiation with 2 possible/probable after that. No Hormone treatment.

I took the Hospital Social Worker in with me as backup, more just as a witness/another woman in the room sort of thing. But I had spoken with her a couple of times on the phone (up till now all discussions were on the phone, no had face to face) and I think it was a healthy way to do it all; and in the end, they got some of what they wanted and I feel that I have a decent compromise.

The whole key is 'informed' consent and I think meeting me was the turning point. I'm no fool; I've weighed the risks and this is my choice. 

But not for the world would I suggest this option to anyone else; it's simply my choice.  

I think I'll go over to Food Basics and get another one of those giant Aloe plant leaves; it's my go to for skin problems. It'll take a couple weeks to set up.

First radiation wisdom

Posted by KerriKerri on Jul 6, 2020 12:08 pm

I am off to my first radiation shortly. Any words off wisdom when I return?

Posted by ashcon on Jul 7, 2020 10:23 am

Hi KerriKerri‍ 
Just saw your post and saw that no one responded before you went in for your first treatment yesterday.  How did it go ?
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Kims1961 on Jul 7, 2020 11:13 am

KerriKerri‍ How did it go?  From the beginning i lathered on the glaxol base cream, tried to stay hydrated and rest if you are tired. 

Good luck today! Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 7, 2020 2:26 pm

KerriKerri‍ 

How did it go yesterday and today?

Something I often hear from people is they are surprised by how red and sore they are after radiation is over rather than during treatment. I hope this helps prepare you. Can others relate?

Lacey

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 7, 2020 4:01 pm

KerriKerri‍ , Lacey_adminCCS‍ , Kims1961‍ , In my situation, I didn't have any skin burns. For my ovarian cancer, I had the hysterectomy, then chemo, then radiation. I had 25 radiation treatments.  But there was no tumour at that time. The radiation was to kill off any little stray clumps of cells. So I suppose this means the beam was more diffused? Less focused? 

The problem I had was diarrhea which happened after 2 weeks of radiation. The staff knew that this usually happens, and the appointment with the nutritionist had already been made for me. The suggested diet really helped.  
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by KerriKerri on Jul 7, 2020 5:22 pm

2 down, 3 to go. Tired today but restless sleep last night didn't help much. So far so good . Technicians are wonderful. Doc appt in 6-8 weeks. All seems right with the world ATM.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 8, 2020 10:17 am

KerriKerri‍ 

That's the spirit! Start a countdown.

SO glad the staff were wonderful. 

Did you get some rest last night?

One more down today!

Lacey

Posted by Doug58 on Jul 8, 2020 4:47 pm

KerriKerri

Do not forget to ring the bell after last one on Friday.

I start 30 rounds on the 15th.  I had surgery for squamous cell carcinoma of soft tissue on bottom of mouth. Was supposed to possibly mean removal of some teeth, jaw and tongue. I ended up with small part of jaw removed.   It was the removal of most bottom teeth and half the tongue that has made talking interesting and eating difficult. I understand the daily need for fluoride and the use of a mouth guard and mask during radiation. I am presently having physiotherapy for shoulder/arm caused by lymph node removal in neck.

Is it normal to have physical therapy to continue while going through radiation?  Is there any reason no one discusses stages of cancer?

I am new here and trying to figure things out.